#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Shit that's good for CP. Nobody was expecting to beat Gravity anyway. Incredible for both movies. This will be the Sherlock Holmes to Avatar run. Yeah I know Avatar and SH opened on the same day. But this is similar.

Avatar opened the week before Sherlock.

Sherlock Holmes opened Christmas Day, its amazing how well it and Alvin 2 did considering it faced Avatar.

Avatar actually helped. Avatar elevated people's interest in going to cinema. That's how big a movie can be.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

Sherlock Holmes opened Christmas Day, its amazing how well it and Alvin 2 did considering it faced Avatar.

It's called the spill-over effect. One dominating success creates a run-off to other mildly interesting movies.

When a theater runs out of AVATAR tickets, those folks wouldn't want to drive back with their tails between their

legs. They would stay at the multiplex and see SHERLOCK. Families stay for ALVIN. Everybody wins, well, in this case, Fox

2009 is Year of Fox. The studio can make a series of failures for 2 straight years or no movie for a year due to AVATAR+ALVIN insane tag-team success. Plus that year NIGHT AT MUSEUM + ICE AGE3 contributed $1.2B to the Box Office. All four movies accounted for $4B+ for Fox. Too bad that year Fox also had to contend with hundreds of  low grossers & flops (DRAGONBALL, STREET FIGHTER, ALIEN IN TEH ATTIC). 

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 2

It's called the spill-over effect. One dominating success creates a run-off to other mildly interesting movies.

When a theater runs out of AVATAR tickets, those folks wouldn't want to drive back with their tails between their

legs. They would stay at the multiplex and see SHERLOCK. Families stay for ALVIN. Everybody wins, well, in this case, Fox

2009 is Year of Fox. The studio can make a series of failures for 2 straight years or no movie for a year due to AVATAR+ALVIN insane tag-team success.

Sherlock's opening weekend was filled with people there for Sherlock. I was one of them.

"Went to the movies solo and saw Captain Phillips. It was really good minus the fact that everyone in the audience were all old people."

Can't wait to see the demo breakdown on this movie.

In Captain Phillips, Tom Hanks pretty much tells the world "Hey, remember me assholes? From 1992 to 2002, I had the best stretch of any actor since film was invented, both in terms of box office and in terms of incredible performances. Stop saying I'm washed up and not a draw anymore, mmkay?"  And I'm happy for it- Tom Hanks is a fucking legend.

• Like 9

Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks movies in the top 2! A-list actors with well received movies doing well in the box office, feels like the old days ;) Of course their combination didn't do that much with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close's box office but I guess it was the premise that didn't appeal to people

• Like 2