Krissykins

Weekend Numbers Oct 18-21

Gravity is a beast unlike anything we've seen this whole year. A month ago I wasn't sure if it would open to 30m. Now it's pulling that figure on its third weekend. 250m is pretty much locked and I think 275m is the goal. 

Captain Phillips won't have quite as strong legs as Argo but a 17m second weekend and -33% drop is nothing to scoff at. It should make its way over 100m. 

Poor showing for Carrie given Sony's aggressive marketing push. A PG-13 rating could've helped get in a younger demo, but really the movie didn't look like must-see horror, even in October. Gravity seems to have a hold on audiences looking for effective scares this month. 

I didn't realize Cloudy 2 actually cost less than the original to produce (78m vs. 100m). It'll probably end with the same total domestically and more overseas so Sony has to be pleased about that, even if it wasn't another Hotel Transylvania. 

Stallone has had a bad year at the box office but I'm still thinking Grudge Match could be the 'comeback' vehicle he needs, so long as it doesn't get lost in the Christmas shuffle. 

LMAO at Fifth Estate. Worst wide opening of the year. Touchstone/DW totally buried it. 

Jury's still out on where 12 Years a Slave goes from here but I think it's undoubtedly a good start. Precious opened much bigger but burnt out very quickly. I think 12YS is in for a very long run. 

• Like 4

Gravity was fantastic especially on a technical level. It is something to experience. It's hard to explain but half feels like a movie and half like something you would experience at an advanced science center. The 3 D makes it almost interactive.

Prisoners while having a decent run I just cant help but be disapointed on how it has played out. It deserves so much more and its going to end up at 60 in the end.

You know I feel the same way about Rush. Saw it last night after Gravity. It was a fantastic movie that didn't catch on with the mainstream audience.

• Like 2

You know I feel the same way about Rush. Saw it last night after Gravity. It was a fantastic movie that didn't catch on with the mainstream audience.

And a strongly emotional one. All the movies I have watched recently all hit it hard: Gravity, Rush, Prisoners, Captain Phillips and Instructions Not Included. With 12 Years A Slave coming up, I'm afraid I'll dry out my tears supply :lol:
  • Like 2

And a strongly emotional one. All the movies I have watched recently all hit it hard: Gravity, Rush, Prisoners, Captain Phillips and Instructions Not Included. With 12 Years A Slave coming up, I'm afraid I'll dry out my tears supply :lol:

Rush is at the top of my list. I was all into that story. Very well done.

• Like 1