Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Release date is not bad at all. July only has Tarzan and Ghostbusters as actioners before Star Trek, and they wont be massive. Marketplace should be quite open for it. Bourne will hurt it on second weekend though, and Suicide Squad on August. Legs will be worse this time. Remember the second one had impressive legs and Memorial on second weekend. I'm confident about a good OW in line with Into Darkness.

OS will pass easily Into Darkness. China should be a good boost. 300m+ for sure. I bet they lower the budget this time to 150-170m.  Expecting a good 500-600m WW.

72/205/350/555

Edited by picores
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

This movie looks more Star Trek-y than Star Trek hasn't looked in years-decades but everybody says it looks bad.

Not surprised.

That's enough incentive for me to never watch old Star Trek stuff.

I just hope for a different film instead of trying Wrath of Khan storyline twice once without Khan and they thought it would be better to add Khan, in secret of course, in the next one.  Neither were good, so I don't have any crazy expectations for this one which could be good in the long run 

26 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

STID was great, imo.

It certainly garnered very positive reviews.  I really liked ST09, even with its problems.  And I was liking STID well enough until they got to the last half-hour, Khan did his disappointing heel turn, and then they just started lifting things wholesale from Wrath of Khan.  It was just unnecessary and incredibly distracting as a Trek fan.  I can understand why it didn't bother the average moviegoer, but I found that stuff grating.

I also think Orci and Kurtzman are very poor storytellers in terms of world-building.  In the first one, they invented a transporter that can transport you from star system to star system, and in the second one they used magic Khan blood to resurrect a dead Kirk.  

So, by the end of Into Darkness, we've got a Federation that has discovered the secret to immortality and no longer has a need for starships anymore since it can beam massive distances in the blink of an eye.  That's an interesting setup for a sci-fi universe, but it's not Star Trek.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

So, by the end of Into Darkness, we've got a Federation that has discovered the secret to immortality and no longer has a need for starships anymore since it can beam massive distances in the blink of an eye.  That's an interesting setup for a sci-fi universe, but it's not Star Trek.

If anything, it's sort of a setup for something like HYPERION.

(Memo to studios: plz greenlit a HYPERION franchise, with each budgeted at 200m+ per. KTHXBAI)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Somehow I don't see either of these being referenced much in this movie. This may be a soft reboot of the universe, keeping some things from the previous 2 movies and discarding literally everything else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Somehow I don't see either of these being referenced much in this movie. This may be a soft reboot of the universe, keeping some things from the previous 2 movies and discarding literally everything else.

Probably right especially since their Spock cheat code unfortunately is not longer around.  Unless they decide to pull in George Takei to make up for that or something :P 

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And until this day we never know what old Spock told new Spock about defeating Khan :kitschjob:

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

And until this day we never know what old Spock told new Spock about defeating Khan :kitschjob:

Probably had something to do with using Khan's arrogance, pride, compulsion to get what he wants against him.

Like how they baited him into the Mutaran Nebula in Wrath of Khan to where he, despite being a "superior intellect" was entirely at a disadvantage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Most likely.

I just find it to be such lazy storytelling.  We need to get Kirk and Scotty on the Enterprise, so let's just do the first thing we think of.  Hey, how about just letting Spock give them some warp formula from the future that lets them go faster than the ships in that time can so they can catch up in a shuttle, something which, you know, doesn't break the fricking universe?

And Kirk dies, so let's bring him back with Khan blood.  You know what might work better in this fresh reboot of yours?  Surprise us.  Let him actually stay dead.  Let Spock, the real star of NuTrek, become captain of the Enterprise.  You want to do "The Search for Kirk" in the next one?  Fine.  Or you want to keep Chris Pine in your franchise some other way?  Do a Mirror Universe film next and let's see evil Captain Kirk.  Anything but the cheap theatrics of a fake-out death that you reverse in five minutes with magic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

I thought I read "STD" for a sec. I was like "uhhhhb Kayu, you feeling okay?" :rofl:

Every time I see the abbreviation STID I think of disease, given the meaning of STD and STI. Combined with the fact that there is no colon... whichever marketing team decided that STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS was a good title for a film, they all need to be given a good whipping.

• Like 2