Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

13 hours ago, kowhite said:

The soundtrack is good.  Also...row, row, row your boat...

I think that opening moment in Final Frontier at Yosemite is one of the few, if only, solid character moments in the film for the 3 leads. It continues to show their friendship and dependency on one another that was in the preceding films.

The screenplay has the makings of a good movie, it needed one last script doctor to really bring it together though unfortunately. 

I'm sensing from the trailers for Beyond that the Kirk,Spock,Bones dynamic is going to continue to gel further with this entry. 

Hey!  It looks like Jahlah in Beyond was inspired by Jen (J-Law) in Winter's Bone!  Didn't know that!

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-new-face-in-star-trek-beyond-was-named-after-jennifer-lawrence/

The character is Jaylah, a new face in the Trek universe, played by the nimble Sofia Boutella from "Kingsman". According to the film's co-writer, Simon Pegg, Jaylah was inspired by the character played by Jennifer Lawrence in the 2010 backwoods drama "Winter's Bone", a young woman forced by circumstances to become tough beyond her years.

"We started off calling her 'Jennifer Lawrence in 'Winter's Bone'', because we wanted that kind of resourceful young girl", explained Pegg.

The writers soon began using Lawrence's nickname, J-Law, as shorthand, "and then that became Jaylah."

• Like 2

They missed an opportunity here in the marketing to really embrace the Trek-i-ness of the old-school franchise... They should have used "trailer voice guy" and used "Beyond the stars..."  "Beyond existence..."  "Beyond timelines..."   STAR TREK: BEYOND     ;-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

They missed an opportunity here in the marketing to really embrace the Trek-i-ness of the old-school franchise... They should have used "trailer voice guy" and used "Beyond the stars..."  "Beyond existence..."  "Beyond timelines..."   STAR TREK: BEYOND     ;-)

large.jpg

13 hours ago, stuart360 said:

The Motion Picture is one of the best ST films, its exactly what Star Trek is supposed to be about. Exploration, wonder, the unknown.

The complete opposite of what these Jar Jar Abrams films are.

TMP was boring as shit! 

I cant watch it anymore. It was basically a giant extended episode that would have worked better as an actual episode. 

Final Frontier is absolutely unwatchable. 

Generations was like TMP in that it was just kind of dull except for when the Enterprise goes down. 

The less said about Insurection and Nemisis the better. 

I liked/loved all the others. 

• Like 1