Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

23 minutes ago, The47th said:

I'm very happy with the OW number. After all that's been said about the marketing, $59 is barely below from the $62M of Into Darkness and it's in the very high end of the expectations. Plus, with all the great reviews it could be said Paramount has transitioned successfully from JJ Abrams as a director.

just a quick correction, STID opened with $70 mil for its OW

but overall, STB didn't decent enough business regardless

Edited by 75live

6 minutes ago, 75live said:

just a quick correction, STID opened with $70 mil for its OW

but overall, STB didn't decent enough business regardless

Yeah I've read that number but BOM and some other articles confused me. I guess STID had a four-day weekend or similar? BOM says STID did $62 in the first three days.

In any case, I'm still happy with the number.

• Like 1

How is 80%+ anything but "great"? It's in the same range as the best Trek films, and exactly the same as STVI.

What I'm saying is that the series hasn't sunk without Abrams at the helm. Yes, it won't do as much as the previous entry, as sequels often do. But the business is clearly alive.

• Like 2

How is 80%+ anything but "great"?

avg rating is what matters, not the approval rating. plus, the approval rating dropped 3% since Saturday (10 since last week) and there are still around 100 reviews to be added. STiD has 260 reviews, Trek09 has more than 300 I think.

• Like 1

I don't have a TV, so I actually have no idea how often trailers for films show up as TV spots in general, or if trailers continue to air during the opening weekend.

But I was at my parents place this weekend and thought it was a bit funny that the only commercial I saw mentioning Star Trek was for a 50th anniversary coin from the Royal Canadian Mint and not for Star Trek Beyond. And I actually saw it twice! :lol: 

Star Trek 09 Adjusts to 300m 

Into Darkness having a 4 year gap kinda stalled what could have been a little bit stronger of a franchise. It does have its cap though.  

But its following the original series movies box office kinda if you look at adjusted numbers. I see number 4 with Hemsworth and some overall fan goodwill from this movie having a jump like Voyage home and matching or maybe outgrossing Into Darkness.

Point is a franchise that can constantly for DECADES chug out 150 - 250m domestically is one you want to hold on to. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Star Trek 09 Adjusts to 300m 

Into Darkness having a 4 year gap kinda stalled what could have been a little bit stronger of a franchise. It does have its cap though.  

But its following the original series movies box office kinda if you look at adjusted numbers. I see number 4 with Hemsworth and some overall fan goodwill from this movie having a jump like Voyage home and matching or maybe outgrossing Into Darkness.

Point is a franchise that can constantly for DECADES chug out 150 - 250m domestically is one you want to hold on to. 

Or Hems will tank the franchise, as he's wont to do... :ph34r:

• Like 1

What a slight movie this was. It really did feel like an episode of the show stretched paper thin to a feature runtime. Nothing bad here, but man was I bored in many places which is a terrible thing to be in a movie like this. I also felt the spark and charisma of a lot of the cast was absent (particularly Pine and Quinto), along with a drought of the humorous banter between them that I loved about the first two (it was there but not enough of it). Bones/Urban and Scotty/Pegg were the only two characters/actors that seemed on point here to me. Also, maybe I'm just jaded but to me the action was toned way back for Lin. And where's the fun in that? If you're gonna hire the guy then let him go balls to the wall over the top with the action sequences. That's what he's best at. This isn't a bad movie in any real way, but I'll be damned if I have any desire to see it again nor do I suspect to remember it in a  few short months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

What a slight movie this was. It really did feel like an episode of the show stretched paper thin to a feature runtime. Nothing bad here, but man was I bored in many places which is a terrible thing to be in a movie like this. I also felt the spark and charisma of a lot of the cast was absent (particularly Pine and Quinto), along with a drought of the humorous banter between them that I loved about the first two (it was there but not enough of it). Bones/Urban and Scotty/Pegg were the only two characters/actors that seemed on point here to me. Also, maybe I'm just jaded but to me the action was toned way back for Lin. And where's the fun in that? If you're gonna hire the guy then let him go balls to the wall over the top with the action sequences. That's what he's best at. This isn't a bad movie in any real way, but I'll be damned if I have any desire to see it again nor do I suspect to remember it in a  few short months. 

They didn't really share much screentime together. The Spock/Bones pair more than made up for it.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

They didn't really share much screentime together. The Spock/Bones pair more than made up for it.

I just meant in general those two actors seemed bored and their characters lazily written this time around. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just meant in general those two actors seemed bored and their characters lazily written this time around. 

I disagree about Spock. I can see an argument for Kirk but Chris Pine seemed like he was invested.

Pine and Quinto were fine but neither was really given much to work with this time around (other than the Nimoy stuff for Quinto). Urban was hilarious, I say scrap the next movie give us a Bones spin-off in which he says nothing but acidic one-liners for two hours.

Seen it twice now and i really like it, a lot. It had the right tone, the feeling that they had moved on and settled into their mission. I love that the writers understand Trek finally, something that i just didnt get from the last 2 movies (no surprise given the hacks that wrote them).

• Like 1