Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

39 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I can't believe how little this has made overseas, the franchise is dead...so much for live long and prosper.

If the back to back turds of Insurrection and Nemisis didn't kill the franchise, then I highly doubt this will. 

26 minutes ago, darkelf said:

Lassie :)

Thank you a lot.

What does that term mean exactly?  I know 'lass' as a term for a girl out of the Sharpe TV movies (plays ~ 120y in the past), not for a woman. Is that term maybe connected?

Dubbed it was a term nowadays seen as not positive, a bit like speaking down to a female, NEVER used for a male as way too respectless.

If someone in RL would speak to me that way I'd literally either smack him (knowing myself I'd probably kick him) or throw him out, depending on the exact situation.

I am not happy with the movie, but not because of that. I really hope it's the dubbing also (dubbed humour didn't work always???), but several scenes were IMHO too much out of established characters and / or missed opportunities, partly rather sloppy written.

I haven't read-up a lot, but I think the script was not good in several scenes and way too much... WTF moments and so on. Plus Scotty... way too blatant how he written himself into something 'more'

Edited by terrestrial

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you a lot.

What does that term mean exactly?  I know 'lass' as a term for a girl out of the Sharpe TV movies (plays ~ 120y in the past), not for a woman. Is that term maybe connected?

Dubbed it was a term nowadays seen as not positive, a bit like speaking down to a female, NEVER used for a male as way too respectless.

If someone in RL would speak to me that way I'd literally either smack him or throw him out, depending on the exact situation.

I am not happy with the movie, but not because of that. I really hope it's the dubbing also (dubbed humour didn't work always???), but several scenes were IMHO too much out of established characters and / or missed opportunities, partly rather sloppy written.

I haven't read-up a lot, but I think the script was not good in several scenes and way too much... WTF moments and so on. Plus Scotty... way too blatant how he written himself into something 'more'

Lassie is just kind of a stereotypical Scottish way of saying girl/female. The male version would be Laddie. Neither are derogatory, as far as I can recall.

I'd hope it's the dub, because I didn't feel that anyone was out of character in the film while watching it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you a lot.

If someone in RL would speak to me that way I'd literally either smack him (knowing myself I'd probably kick him) or throw him out, depending on the exact situation.

Lassie is also mildly affectionate, and Scottish so appropriate.  It isnt like 'darling', more like 'kiddo', but it is affectionate in familiarity.  It signified that he considered her one of them, or on their side. Otherwise he'd have used her name (or rank, if she had been Star Fleet.)

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Lassie is just kind of a stereotypical Scottish way of saying girl/female. The male version would be Laddie. Neither are derogatory, as far as I can recall.

I'd hope it's the dub, because I didn't feel that anyone was out of character in the film while watching it.

At least Spock was IMHO too often out of character, based on mimic also not only spoken text.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

Lassie is also mildly affectionate, and Scottish so appropriate.  It isnt like 'darling', more like 'kiddo', but it is affectionate in familiarity.

Was it in the original language, that she is a non-adult? She didn't seem to be a teen... to me.

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Was it in the original language, that she is a non-adult? She didn't seem to be a teen... to me.

You are right that it could be insulting in a situation where a person didn't have a relationship permitting him to be familiar, but he is older than she is, and was using it in an affectionate familiar manner, not to cut her down.  Context determines whether familiarity is affectionate or patronizing.  She was supposed to be a young adult, entering adulthood.  Hence offering her the ability to join Star Fleet as a cadet, at the end, was appropriate.

But Lassie CAN be used for older ladies, where that is considered appropriate (like an old lady can say she is going out with 'the girls' not 'the women' if she feels like it.)  I don't think you could use it for someone OLDER than you, but ask a Scottsman....

Edited by trifle

25 minutes ago, trifle said:

You are right that it could be insulting in a situation where a person didn't have a relationship permitting him to be familiar, but he is older than she is, and was using it in an affectionate familiar manner, not to cut her down.  Context determines whether familiarity is affectionate or patronizing.  She was supposed to be a young adult, entering adulthood.  Hence offering her the ability to join Star Fleet as a cadet, at the end, was appropriate.

But Lassie CAN be used for older ladies, where that is considered appropriate (like an old lady can say she is going out with 'the girls' not 'the women' if she feels like it.)  I don't think you could use it for someone OLDER than you, but ask a Scottsman....

Thank you again for your explanation.

It might be culture / regional / circle of friends thing, but if an older adult here would speak in that way to a young adult, it would be seen as not o.K., especially by people not living in the dark ages ;)

In a way it would mean the person is still not adult in the eyes of the older one. Like if a 24y old shows the maturity of a 13y old. Also IMHO not o.K. as he barely knows her = according to the customs in MY surrounding = without a cause no one has the right to use a term meant for another age or...

Hmm in a way it would imply he thinks he is more mature than she is, but how would he know and is he more mature? Hypothetically meant.

I found that sometimes regional use of words can be against PC without especially the older / male / person using it not being inside/part of the group the term / saying is used for (or against?). Ouch, that sound badly formulated, I guess my English is too rusty.

That was only a very minor point why I was not so happy, as in maybe 1% and correctly guessing that it was dubbed a bit ... not ideal.

I'll wait for the DVD with the most deleted scenes ... till I rate it finally, for the moment for me its a 6/10.

I read they cut some maybe improving scenes. After that it might be interesting to find out who was responsible for what and for which reasons.

Not a fan of the writers after this.

Edited by terrestrial

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you again for your explanation.

It might be culture / regional / circle of friends thing, but if an older adult here would speak in that way to a young adult, it would be seen as not o.K., especially by people not living in the dark ages ;)

In a way it would mean the person is still not adult in the eyes of the older one. Like if a 24y old shows the maturity of a 13y old. Also IMHO not o.K. as he barely knows her = according to the customs in MY surrounding = without a cause no one has the right to use a term meant for another age or...

I found that sometimes regional use of words can be against PC without especially the older / male / person using it not being inside/part of the group the term / saying is used for (or against?). Ouch, that sound badly formulated, I guess my English is too rusty.

That was only a very minor point why I was not so happy, as in maybe 1% and correctly guessing that it was dubbed a bit ... not ideal.

I'll wait for the DVD with the most deleted scenes ... till I rate it finally, for the moment for me its a 6/10.

I read they cut some maybe improving scenes. After that it might be interesting to find out who was responsible for what and for which reasons.

Not a fan of the writers after this.

I may have thrown you off a bit when I said it was like 'kiddo'.  It does imply young, but young woman (or girl) not necessarily child like.  It likely would be too familiar in parts of the world where casual familiarity can be viewed as offensive.  You are right it is cultural.  Here it was people who were in an intense situation together, relying on each other, so it seemed friendly to me, and to most in my culture I would think. To others who would expect formality until they knew each other, it would be considered too familiar, perhaps. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trifle said:

I may have thrown you off a bit when I said it was like 'kiddo'.  It does imply young, but young woman (or girl) not necessarily child like.  It likely would be too familiar in parts of the world where casual familiarity can be viewed as offensive.  You are right it is cultural.  Here it was people who were in an intense situation together, relying on each other, so it seemed friendly to me, and to most in my culture I would think. To others who would expect formality until they knew each other, it would be considered too familiar, perhaps. 

I am just seeing BO dom and ww. In my country it didn't make till now 50% of the last one. Maybe they dubbed not ideal (humour) in other countries too? But there are still e.g. France, Spain,... China to open. 

Fingers crossed it will do more money. But also fingers crossed about a better script next time. Or a script not rewritten that often, like it seems to have benn in this case.

And not so many 'reminds me about' moments (Babylon 5, GotG, ....) and WTF moments, like Scotty holding himself with one hand on a rock in this kind of way or Kirk asking for his rescued crew and Bones only telling him no one is really badly injured, but no mention of how many got rescued, how many died. Maybe also not being the final/ the fight before the final fight being a fist fights? And the spaceship over the cliff thingie, why adding breaking rocks, no way that would leave the ship undamaged, especially that building type. And why didn't the bad ones remember their old ship? Scotty being able to repair it with the alien within a day, when the old crew wasn't able to do so? The survivors not remembering the ship (the 'second-in-command' when they start to beam the people out? No one wondering during the search flights controlled by them via screens... their old ship has 'disappeared'. and and

• Like 2