Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Much as I'm not keen on the choice, I imagine Orci will have to prove that he's capable since this will be the film that be the centrepiece of the 50th anniversary so I imagine he'll be under huge pressure. I imagine JJ Abrams will likely be giving him advice and be closely involved despite not directing,

You know, in Orcis favor...he IS the total Star Trek nerd of the bunch.So...there is that. He does actual love the franchise, unlike JJ or Kurtzman.

That might be a hindrance than an advantage but saying that, I think the third film will and should be a love letter to the franchise in the same way Skyfall was to the Bond franchise was although that was a great Bond film in its own right,

That might be a hindrance than an advantage but saying that, I think the third film will and should be a love letter to the franchise in the same way Skyfall was to the Bond franchise was although that was a great Bond film in its own right,

You never know. But maybe a Star Trek fan will remember these words..."Space: The final frontierThese are the voyages of the Starship, EnterpriseIts 5 year missionTo explore strange new worldsTo seek out new life and new civilizationsTo boldly go where no man has gone before"And not make yet another movie that largely takes place on Earth. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 5

You never know. But maybe a Star Trek fan will remember these words..."Space: The final frontierThese are the voyages of the Starship, EnterpriseIts 5 year missionTo explore strange new worldsTo seek out new life and new civilizationsTo boldly go where no man has gone before"And not make yet another movie that largely takes place on Earth.

Before the reboot, the most successful films from each of the TOS and TNG crews were The Voyage Home and First Contact, both which were Earth based. I do think it should take place in space though.

Before the reboot, the most successful films from each of the TOS and TNG crews were The Voyage Home and First Contact, both which were Earth based. I do think it should take place in space though.

Oh I know.But...aping prior success isn't what I want! even if it might be safer. Fortunately Khan is out of their system, but Into Darkness ends with...well, I guess this is a spoiler but deal with it, the crew setting off on their 5 year mission. God help us if their first on screen mission is them...coming back to earth. Give me space adventure. Give me that god damn 5 year mission done right.
  • Like 4

I just want the Klingon War they've hinted at, that would allow for a space based film but I think we'll also have another enemy as well which will likely be the crux of the film. I wonder if we will finally get a Shatner cameo?

• Like 2

Oh god, please no more cameos from any of the precious Treks. The reboots went out of their way to establish a new universe (though of course STID stumbled badly with its fan-tribute).

I remember watching Into Darkness thinking...this ending would totally work better if you know nothing of Trek. Cause I'm laughingStill enjoyed the hell out of that movie.
  • Like 5

I remember watching Into Darkness thinking...this ending would totally work better if you know nothing of Trek. Cause I'm laughingStill enjoyed the hell out of that movie.

Yeah, Mrs Tele (who's seen the original Treks but has never been particularly a big fan) liked that part.
  • Like 5

Upon rewatch, about half of STiD is a good, maybe great movie...

Then the Khan-berbatch reveal.

Then the "Phone-A-Friend" cheat.

Then the "reverse Khan" and magical blood transfusion du jour. Sigh…..

I felt cheated that this could've been something really different and unique in the Trekverse. Not to mention that a franchise that's based on space exploration was mostly set on Earth. I just really wanted something different altogether. 

I have such little hopes for Orci that, if he actually manages to pull something decent out of his ass, my Trekkie butt will offer him my first son (which is actually my crusty-tumor ridden beagle who never listens to me and is always asking for food. BUT STILL THE POINT STANDS!)

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

In Orci's defense, it's too early to judge him as a director since... y'know, he's never directed before.

Who gives a 200m tentpole film to a first-time director? This man has never directed a single thing (TV episode, music video, etc). 

Weren't we going to get Joe Cornish for this? WTF happened?