Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Well I guess we can get ready for another trilogy to go down the tubes. The gap between Abrams and Orci is similar to the gap between Singer and Ratner or Burton and Schumacher. Dammit.

You could be right but we haven't seen what he can do as a director.  

You could be right but we haven't seen what he can do as a director.  

Isn't that kind of scary to have a writer who has never directed anything suddenly direct a big budget, big scale action movie? Last time this happened we got David Goyer's Blade 3, which was a disaster. Goyer and Orci are similar writers. They have some good ideas but they kind of suck with the details.

• Like 1

Isn't that kind of scary to have a writer who has never directed anything suddenly direct a big budget, big scale action movie? Last time this happened we got David Goyer's Blade 3, which was a disaster. Goyer and Orci are similar writers. They have some good ideas but they kind of suck with the details.

I see your point.  If it was Disney Marvel movie and we heard about a first time director getting hired then I wouldn't worry too much.  They have a track record of making unconventional decisions pay off.  

With Orci, I have no idea what to expect.  However, I don't think the issues we saw with Pfister's debut apply here because the reported mistakes with Transcendence are things I think a writer will be on top of (pacing, etc).  

Edited by lilmac

This is interesting:

But numerous insiders have told me the same story, time and again: Orci and Kurtzman are stenographers, taking down every bad idea that the director and producers give them and somehow fitting them all into the scripts. This is why they keep getting high profile work - they make the executives feel listened to, and this is the single most important skill a Hollywood screenwriter can have.
 One example is that Orci and Kurtzman didn't want to have Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness. They were going to do Gary Mitchell, but JJ Abrams demanded Khan. Another is that in the original script for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 the Richard Parker stuff actually paid off because he shows up at the end and gives Peter the 'With great power" speech that's been missing from the series. Maybe - just maybe - these guys have good ideas...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/09/can-roberto-orci-make-the-best-star-trek-reboot-film/

• Like 5

You mean Abrams didn't go with Gary Mitchell? That would've been a far better idea because it actually fit the actor and story far better. That Richard Parker stuff is awful though.

• Like 1