CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

Cinemas weren't closed on Thursday and Friday in these countries? In my country cinemas are closed on Thursday and Friday during Holy Week.

No. Thursday and Friday of Easter are giant days in Europe.

Both which are expected as those markers have gone to hell. Thor 2 and Cap 2 made less than the first ones in both markets despite Avengers effect for instance

I doubt legs will be better for this one. Reviews are just ok and sequels tend to drop off faster. So its less than stellar increases would lead to lower totals in most of the mature markets. It needs Russia/China to be super successful to make 600M. I am thinking around 550M at this point which was my prediction pre-release as well.

Both which are expected as those markers have gone to hell. Thor 2 and Cap 2 made less than the first ones in both markets despite Avengers effect for instance

Actually, I want to correct that even with Thor 2 opening lower than Thor 1 by a 10000 tickets difference, it was able to end over Thor 1 by 17000 tickets. I only noticed this a week ago  :ph34r:

CA2 is being a huge disappointment. Not way it touches the total CA1 did here in August 2011. And yes, TASM2 decreasing had to be expected since Spain and Portugal, besides being in the shit, are being dominated by a different movie which hurt TASM2 (local comedy in Spain and Noah in Portugal).

Edited by CJohn

I doubt legs will be better for this one. Reviews are just ok and sequels tend to drop off faster. So its less than stellar increases would lead to lower totals in most of the mature markets. It needs Russia/China to be super successful to make 600M. I am thinking around 550M at this point which was my prediction pre-release as well.

It has some holidays to take advantage of and little competition for a few weeks. Not to mention it opened higher in some markets. It. Would need some epic drop offs to not surpass the first ones gross in many markets by at least a small amount Edited by John Marston

Portugal's numbers:

TASM1 OW - 63000 tickets sold

TASM2 OW - 47000 tickets sold

Other superhero movies:

Iron Man 3 OW - 66000 tickets sold

Man of Steel OW - 37000 tickets sold

Wolverine OW - 40000 tickets sold

Thor 2 OW - 55000 tickets sold

Captain America 2 OW - 39000 tickets sold

The Avengers OW - 107000 tickets sold (it opened on a Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday, so that is a 5 day total, it sold 72000 tickets on the normal Thurs-Sunday period)

The Dark Knight Rises OW - 110000 tickets sold

Edited by CJohn

Has Spain's economy recovered?

Government reclaim some recoverage but it is so low that it just can be considered shit, as CJohn has said.

SH genre is not too loved here. Just Avengers and Nolan's Batman have made some decent numbers recently. But just decent, nothing spectacular. And you have to consider that everything in last 6 weeks, not only TASM, is being destroyed by local hit 8 apellidos vascos (Spanish affairs) which has already reached 52 million $.

But said this, it is still sad to think that the 3 Raimi Spiderman movies sold enough admissions to make today well over 30 million $. Even SM1 would have made today about 50 million $. To think that TASM2 will have to be fine with barely 10-12 million...  :wacko:

• Like 1

Actually, I want to correct that even with Thor 2 opening lower than Thor 1 by a 10000 tickets difference, it was able to end over Thor 1 by 17000 tickets. I only noticed this a week ago  :ph34r:

CA2 is being a huge disappointment. Not way it touches the total CA1 did here in August 2011. And yes, TASM2 decreasing had to be expected since Spain and Portugal, besides being in the shit, are being dominated by a different movie which hurt TASM2 (local comedy in Spain and Noah in Portugal).

TASM2 is number 1 in Portugal...

Edited by efialtes76

TASM2 opened last Thursday in Uruguay and it did pretty good, 20k admissions, around $150k. It´s a very small market but it is the first South American market where it opens. Noah and Cap 2 needed around 20 days to reach that amount of tickets sold. The Lego Movie final number is smaller than that one. 

Has Spain's economy recovered?

Is recovering slowly but steady. This ones were the best Easter Holidays since 2007. Hotels received 18% more people than last year's Easter and the airports 14.4% more tourist!!  :D Also the reservations for the summer are increasing. We've been in Asturias and it was packed everywhere. We've been talking to owners of restaurants and they were very happy.  ;)

• Like 5

In the UK

A superhero once again leads the way at the UK box office with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 dethroningCaptain America over the Easter weekend.

Sony’s sequel caught $15.2m (£9m) in its web from its 548 sites, including $4.8m (£2.9m) in previews, to post the year’s biggest opening surpassing The Lego Movie’s $13.5m (£8.05m) including $3.6m (£2.16m) previews.

Its Fri-Sun takings of $10.3m (£6.1m) would have also seen it comfortably land the top spot.

Overall, that’s down on The Amazing Spider-Man’s $18.7m (£11.1m) opening from 552 sites, but it’s worth noting that opening contained $7.2m (£4.3m) in previews from one extra day of release.

The Amazing Spider-Man went on to take $43.7m (£26m) in the UK for the lowest return of any Spider-Man outing, so the sequel has a steady base to build on as it aims to surpass that tally.

• Like 2