CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

Hope CA beats this crap!

A crap you did not watch.People judging films they know nothing about are ridiculous.According to a lot of people who watched it it's the best Spidey movie since Spiderman 2,I'm sure I will enjoy it :DAnd sorry to burst your bubble but there is no way CA2 can beat.TASM2,apart from a big meteorite falling on Earth or an alien invasion.:P

Numbers is fine but it is still a little disappointing and likely no 600m+ OS blockbuster we hoped for. No spin.

Marking the biggest opening internationally of 2014, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has taken international markets by storm, grossing an estimated $47M as it bows in major territories, including the U.K., Spain, Germany and Belgium and other top spots of Mexico and Australia, to name a few of the 14 markets. The top market for the Sony franchise was the UK/Ireland with grabbed $15M. It marks a 49% bigger opening than Winter Soldier in the territory. Posted ImageThe same group of territories, Sony says, opened comparably to the first installment and well above Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Of note is a huge $2.3M from 50 IMAX screens to equal a monster $47,000 per screen average. In Mexico it became the highest opener of the year — 26% higher than the Cap — with an $11.1M take. Spidey spun a $6.2M web around Germany — a whopping 70% higher opening than the Cap — and Australia opened with $5.2M (only 2% bigger than the first installment). Other territories such as Belgium ($940K), Austria ($550K), Sweden ($1.1M) and Denmark ($875K) all also beat the opening of The Winter Soldier. It will open in 21 more markets next weekend, including Japan, Russia and South Korea.

But in Spain — yikes — Spiderman got caught in its own web, failing to open in the No. 1 spot. That honor continues to go to the local language pic Spanish Affairs, which has had a stronghold on the market for six weeks in a row. It is the biggest film ever in Spain with $52.8M to date. In 330 runs, it grossed $5.8M this weekend to grab 44% of the marketshare — twice as big as The Amazing Spider-Man 2. In terms of admissions, it holds the record with 6.43M, surpassing the 6.41M title previously held for the past 13 years by The Others. The pic, handled by Universal Pictures International, is now the 4th highest grossing film of all time in the territory, only behind Avatar, The Impossible and Titantic.

I'm a huge spidey fan, but I do believe that these are disappointing numbers for the 15 territories in question, including the UK. Considering that this is a school holiday week in the UK and a long weekend, I expected TASM2 to do at least $20M equivalent, over the 5 days to Sunday. However, I also think that the flick may wind up in the $800-850M range (just about), carried by China + Latam + a few other Asian countries. I now think that the US tally may also end up lower than TASM's $262M.

Amy Pascal's $1Billion hopes will remain just that; an empty hope

Edited by avis121
  • Like 1

I'm a huge spidey fan, but I do believe that these are disappointing numbers for the 15 territories in question, including the UK. Considering that this is a school holiday week in the UK and a long weekend, I expected TASM2 to do at least $20M equivalent, over the 5 days to Sunday. However, I also think that the flick may wind up in the $800-850M range (just about), carried by China + Latam + a few other Asian countries. I now think that the US tally may also end up lower than TASM's $262M.

Amy Pascal's $1Billion hopes will remain just that; an empty hope

didn't TASM1 have an extra day in UK? at least that's what I read in this thread.

Edited by a2knet