CaptainJackSparrow

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Record opening in Philippines and India, stabilizing elsewhere

South Korea (Friday)

Admissions: 242,026 

Gross: $2.03M

Presales: 200,068 (62.9% share)

Good friday increase! +40% over thursday. ASM 4 day OW saw 1.7 million admissions. To match this OW in 5 days TASM2 needs to bring in 1.1M admissions over the weekend. 

• Like 1

South Korea (Friday)

Admissions: 242,026 

Gross: $2.03M

Presales: 200,068 (62.9% share)

Good friday increase! +40% over thursday. ASM 4 day OW saw 1.7 million admissions. To match this OW in 5 days TASM2 needs to bring in 1.1M admissions over the weekend. 

So another 600,000 admissions in two days?  That seems kind of high, doesn't?  I don't think it will hit that for Sat and Sunday.

So another 600,000 admissions in two days?  That seems kind of high, doesn't?  I don't think it will hit that for Sat and Sunday.

no it needs 1,100,000 admissions over sat-sun to beat Tasm's OW

currently TASM2's first 3 days (610,239) is slightly over TASM's 2 day (556,981) 

• Like 2

no it needs 1,100,000 admissions over sat-sun to beat Tasm's OW

currently TASM2's first 3 days (610,239) is slightly over TASM's 2 day (556,981) 

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Yea, that isn't happening.

I know Czech market is small but some of our 3D screenings were less than 1% full today! Raimi's movies always finished in Top15, TASM1 was 28th but this one will be very lucky to even make Top50! Crazy!

Edited by bapi
  • Like 3

But shouldn't the law of sequels apply in these markets as well as North America?  Meaning that they should be more frontloaded?

They should do better and then higher drop-off in the 2nd weekend. The on-par performance of TASM2 showed there is demand for Spidey but muted. Fans didn't rush out. They might still come out and see the movie later on. It's just that there is a sense of superhero fatigue going on here after TDW & CATWS. 

• Like 1

Damn, TASM2 actually is decreasing in several (not big but still) markets, it pretty much seems like a given that it's better than TASM and yet. Superhero fatigue with Cap America a couple of weeks before, no other explanation. 

WoM isn't good btw, We can only judge that it is fatigue if X-Men also fails... 

This were I base less good WoM on:

Imdb: 7.2 TASM1 300.000 VOTES

Imdb  7.7 TASM2 21.000 VOTES (so only fan-boys have voted yet, It's not the first time i track movies on Imdb and i know it will fall atleast to 7 if not more...)

Metacritic 

TASM1: 66%

TASM2: 58% (It might get it bit better to 60%, but it could also drop to 56%)

Rotten

This is how much positief replys there are per 10 critics (+50% is positif btw)

TASM1: 7.3

TASM2: 7.5 (Early, no DOM release yet so in DOM they got some spidy fatigue so it could dorp to 7 but I think it will hold on 7.2)

This is the average rating of the critics:

TASM1 6.7/10

TASM2 6.2/10 (Could still drop with USA release  :( )

So to be honest nothing indecates that it's a better movie than the first one. 

• Like 1

WoM isn't good btw, We can only judge that it is fatigue if X-Men also fails... 

This were I base less good WoM on:

Imdb: 7.2 TASM1 300.000 VOTES

Imdb  7.7 TASM2 21.000 VOTES (so only fan-boys have voted yet, It's not the first time i track movies on Imdb and i know it will fall atleast to 7 if not more...)

Metacritic 

TASM1: 66%

TASM2: 58% (It might get it bit better to 60%, but it could also drop to 56%)

Rotten

This is how much positief replys there are per 10 critics (+50% is positif btw)

TASM1: 7.3

TASM2: 7.5 (Early, no DOM release yet so in DOM they got some spidy fatigue so it could dorp to 7 but I think it will hold on 7.2)

This is the average rating of the critics:

TASM1 6.7/10

TASM2 6.2/10 (Could still drop with USA release  :( )

So to be honest nothing indecates that it's a better movie than the first one. 

RT is never a consistent indicator of commercial success. But it's nice to have that comparison. 

You can't use IMDB seriously, you have no idea of knowing who even saw the movie on there. For WOM, I'd think Twitter is a pretty good indication, it just makes sense. 

Most reviews are saying it's better than the first one and yet it might end up lower on RT, I'm just saying. 

• Like 1

Meta critic is the most accurated indicator of critics.. And twitter who do you think does post on twitter? Only fan boys... so unfair

Metacritic is fine when dealing with actual grades - it's kind of lousy when it has to assign grades and actually read and interpret reviews. Just read the reviews from Variety & Hollywood Reporter for CATWS and ASM2 and then try to understand how they all wound up rated "70".  And that's pretty typical.

Edited by TalismanRing

It's tanking down under. The Other Woman is also prospering in Australia, where it opened last weekend opposite The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The female comedy debuted to $4.2 million for the weekend, compared to $5.2 million for Spider-Man 2, but pulled ahead of the superhero tentpole on Wednesday. It came in No. 1 Thursday and Friday as well.From THR.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 4

It's tanking down under.The Other Woman is also prospering in Australia, where it opened last weekend opposite The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The female comedy debuted to $4.2 million for the weekend, compared to $5.2 million for Spider-Man 2, but pulled ahead of the superhero tentpole on Wednesday. It came in No. 1 Thursday and Friday as well.From THR.

Let's see New Zealand!The first one opened with $1.1m

Considering that Australia's box office is a rough mirror image of the US box office, Baumer's club (TASM 2 under TASM) looks likely to happen.

That's not my club. But I believe in it.