grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

128M was the total as of Sunday, the OW was 116M. Still the previews weren't added to the OD.

They were forced to report them separately as Rentrak was not tracking Walmart sales. We don't even know how many tickets were actually sold by Walmart. $12 million is the price the chain paid for the 1 million tickets block.

No movie not named despicable Me 2 had great legs this summer it was too crowded for the first couple months

Very true ... and it looks like something similar will take place in 2015.

Blankments bringing Now You See Me ... good call ... hell, STID had a decent run given it's lackluster opening ... WWZ as well. 

Edited by Adam

No movie not named despicable Me 2 had great legs this summer it was too crowded for the first couple months

WWZ had surprisingly decent legs.  Then there were leggers like Now You See Me, The Hear, The Butler, The Millers, The Conjuring etc.

• Like 1

The studios really need to keep spreading these movies out a bit more. Summers are getting brutal. 

I have been thinking low 80s for a while. The Avengers effect is real but who knows how long will it last ? This is why I am not very high on GOTG. Marvel is trying to link all of its properties back to The Avengers and people (GA not the fanboys) are going to get tired of the two movies a year deal in a couple of years tops.

GOTG probably won't even outgrossing Incredible Hulk
  • Like 1

I know they weren't ... that's my point.  MOS was the exception this year in that regard.

Iron Man 3 also previewed at 7 or 8 pm, yet all the money was considered 'Friday'.

Thats what I was saying previews for MOS weren't added to the OD. What exception? Some movies include them others don't weird.

For CF to hit 90 mill, Friday matinees would basically have to sell out.  And not just in pockets of NA but in a lot of places.  The evening shows will be sold out, we know that.  But to hit 90 mill, hell even 80 mill, you would need day shows to be near sell outs.  Not going to happen imo.

Not really, it can do 25m previews + 22m midnights then all it needs to do is 45m day business.

Thats what I was saying previews for MOS weren't added to the OD. What exception? Some movies include them others don't weird.

It's an exception because MOST films do incorporate it.  The examples of not doing so are few and far between.

This was your response to Catching Iceroll

'Previews don't count towards OD'

You better believe Catching Fire will include them ... just like most other films that are able to track Thursday ticket sales.

Not really, it can do 25m previews + 22m midnights then all it needs to do is 45m day business.

High previews translate into lower midnights. Midnight viewings are for fanboys and fangirls . However, 8 PM shows mean the fanboys/fangirls are the ones who snap up preview tickets leaving midnights for GA and GA don't usually show up for midnight showings. I think there is a reason why 8 PM shows haven't translated into any extraordinary box office performances so far.

• Like 2