Neo

Pan | Oct. 9, 2015 | New Trailer on Page 25!

Joe Wright is definitely a guy with his own style, and it sounds like maybe the studio didn't like some of the stuff he was doing with it. i don't know why these guys don't just hire studio hacks if they want everything done as conventionally as possible- i mean, have they seen his other films? my guess is he at least tried to put his own stamp on this somehow and it probably clashed with what they wanted.

• Like 1

Wright's to-go to composer was booted from the movie, reshoots were done without his to-go to cinematographer. I've a very bad feeling about this one.

Maybe more info is needed. The way you put it, obviously it sounds bad, but is it really? Who booted the composer off? Why did they do reshoots? Was the cinematographer busy?

This film is totally off my radar, but I will say that pickups/reshoots being done by a different DP is not always a sign of a disaster or meddling. Vilmos Zsigmond did not film the pickups for Close Encounters (I think they went through 2-3 different DPs for the additional shooting after principal!) and that movie turned out fine.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

The studio didn't like Marianelli's score (which i'm pretty sure was already completed and everything), because they said it was "too European." if any of you are familiar with Dario Marianelli's work, the guy does not do crappy scores, so i'm actually dying to hear what he came up with for this. but they brought in John Powell to do it instead. you can hear samples of the new one on youtube- it's not bad, but Dario Marianelli is such a great composer that i find it hard to believe he could have produced a terrible score.

i don't know about the reshoots- i didn't even hear about that happening. when was that reported?

• Like 1

This film is totally off my radar, but I will say that pickups/reshoots being done by a different DP is not always a sign of a disaster or meddling. Vilmos Zsigmond did not film the pickups for Close Encounters, and that movie turned out fine.

If you gotta go back forty years for an example, it's not a good sign.

If you gotta go back forty years for an example, it's not a good sign.

Point well taken.

I'm wondering if this was a holdover from the previous regime and the current people didn't turn out to be as hot for the prospect of a Joe Wright Peter Pan movie, and tried to get their hands into it to make it more what they wanted - I swear this was greenlit/announced when Robinov was still in charge, am I wrong?

How often has a completed score been tossed? I believe that Gabriel Yared's score for Troy was finished when they tossed it and brought in James Horner?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Point well taken.

I'm wondering if this was a holdover from the previous regime and the current people didn't turn out to be as hot for the prospect of a Joe Wright Peter Pan movie - I swear this was greenlit when Robinov was still in charge, am I wrong?

I think it is. I will admit I'm not a huge Wright fan. Bigger problem is Hollywood's insistence on spending major money on Peter Pan when audiences clearly don't give a shit.