Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

I was reading the ""Star Derailing Role" trope on TV tropes and it said this

excuse me but how did starring in the TF films hurt LaBeouf's career? Lol. 

Jealousy. The general public never hated Labeouf, otherwise films like Eagle Eye and Wallstreet: Money Never Sleeps wouldn't opened well.

What hurt his career was bashing every films he's ever been in.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Yah, really. He gained so much exposure from that role. If anything killed his career, it was himself.

• Like 1

Maybe, but I still don't see 60 million.

12 Years A Slave will just keep dropping and dropping methinks.

It's going to continue making money throughout the awards season, 60 million  is the upper limit (imo); Anything more than that would be amazing. 

It's going to continue making money throughout the awards season, 60 million  is the upper limit (imo); Anything more than that would be amazing. 

Well it's already in more than 1000 theaters, and it's not showing much promise.

Edited by Fancyarcher

How on earth does Ray Subers see Thor finishing with north of 250m? It's obviously not going to keep a similar pace to Skyfall.

I actually think he is right. And it could go beyond that. Thor 2 has way more better WOM than IM3 and it's doing crazy numbers for a November release. Thor 2 will keep going, and November will become a traditional date for Marvel. Regardless what reviews say, Thor 2's WOM is better than IM3. If IM3 could get $400m DOM, Thor 2 won't have problem getting to $250m+.

I tend to forget that Shia is a Disney Channel alum, I think he actually got the most successful movie career from that channel but woah the popular kids there do tend to act a little crazy when they're all grown up. Well maybe except Hilary Duff, does not have a movie/tv career anymore but at least she's not on tabloids

Yeah, that's really idiotic. He is a 27 year old actor. TF movies set him up for life and made him more visible than half a dozen critically acclaimed indies would have. He controls his own career the way very few young actors can. I think Megan Fox and Shia were hurt by picking up fight with Michael Bay and criticizing TF movies respectively but these sort of things are temporary as long as people learn their lessons.

The Book Thief seems to have a passionate fanbase from the books, is Fox making a mistake to have it just limited? The reviews are not spectacular but they're not that bad, it could have been a good counterprogramming with the November blockbusters. I think they should have given The Book Thief the wide release that The Counselor and Runner Runner got

I actually think he is right. And it could go beyond that. Thor 2 has way more better WOM than IM3 and it's doing crazy numbers for a November release. Thor 2 will keep going, and November will become a traditional date for Marvel. Regardless what reviews say, Thor 2's WOM is better than IM3. If IM3 could get $400m DOM, Thor 2 won't have problem getting to $250m+.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Thor 2 is a sequel of a CBM and has middling reviews. There is no reason why it should have great legs.

It's a blockbuster released in November, with the Marvel brand and WOM seems to be better than IM3. In other countries it's showing signs that it can keep up with CW, in Brazil for example, it only dropped 25% from last weekend and this was CW's opening. I think Thor 2 might have one trick or two under its sleeve yet. 

Yeah, that's really idiotic. He is a 27 year old actor. TF movies set him up for life and made him more visible than half a dozen critically acclaimed indies would have. He controls his own career the way very few young actors can. I think Megan Fox and Shia were hurt by picking up fight with Michael Bay and criticizing TF movies respectively but these sort of things are temporary as long as people learn their lessons.

I respect Shia for trying to branch out after TF. He looks pretty amusing in one of the Nympho clips. 

I don't see why Thor 2 and CW can't coexist. I acually think that they will help each other. Both will have very healthy and strong legs, if CW is as good as it looks. 

Are you kidding me?  Have you not looked at Skyfall's run?  Ray pulled that comparison right out of his ass and you're delusional enough about how well liked Thor 2 was to believe him.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=earlynovember.htm

Skyfall fell 13.6% in its 3rd weekend, Thor 2 isn't even sniffing that in your biased dreams, it will probably pull reverse that number, 63.1% drop next weekend.  Then Skyfall stayed strong throughout its late run and it even got an Oscar bump.  Thor: the Mediocre world's most prestigious accolade would be something like a Kid's Choice award if it's lucky.

Are you kidding me?  Have you not looked at Skyfall's run?  Ray pulled that comparison right out of his ass and you're delusional enough about how well liked Thor 2 was to believe him.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=earlynovember.htm

Skyfall fell 13.6% in its 3rd weekend, Thor 2 isn't even sniffing that in your biased dreams, it will probably pull reverse that number, 63.1% drop next weekend.  Then Skyfall stayed strong throughout its late run and it even got an Oscar bump.  Thor: the Mediocre world's most prestigious accolade would be something like a Kid's Choice award if it's lucky.

Catching Fire was released here in Brazil this weekend and Thor: The Dark World held up quite well Rth reported, falling only 25%. It's a completely feasible scenario, you like it or not.