Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

Nice recovery, hopefully it can last into the night and sell out some showings after 10pm.

I imagine THG is more like Potter. It'll be more east coast-y. Whatever the sell outs are looking liker ight now should be a decent indicator.

So if...TDK - TDKR had a 2M increase...and THG - CF has a 2M increase...All of you guys predicting 250M+ for Avengers 2 can rethink your predictions now.

250 million ... even with inflation, that's like selling another 3 million tickets or probably 25 million.

Nope ... not going to happen.  Maybe it opens near TA or slightly higher.

Sorry riczhang, but have you been absent for the last couple of months?  Are you not aware of tracking, poster's expectations and predictions from experts like Guru, Mojo and other sights?   :)

mtc 189m :ph34r:

Sorry riczhang, but have you been absent for the last couple of months?  Are you not aware of tracking, poster's expectations and predictions from experts like Guru, Mojo and other sights?   :)

I have been kinda out, lol. I don't have a lot of time on my hands right now, so yeah..... I haven't been following at all. I know MTC had 189M, but that's about it.

• Like 1

It's still early. People were pissing there pants when the first IM3 report said 155M OW.

Yep. I just posted that. IM3 was selling out 11, 12, and 1 am shows on the west coast. No way could they have projected that and got it right. But then IM3 had a big Saturday too.

That's a big misconception. People seem to think Walmart didn't sell a lot of tickets by WOM. No media outlets reported such a thing. People came on this forum and said "I know someone at Walmart who said they didn't sell a lot".I'm pretty sure there was an "actual" on that Thursday preview by Walmart.

Um ... no Ed ... I have first hand 'hands on' business knowledge of what sold here ... and knowledge from talking to other managers just what sold in several places elsewhere.  Some areas sold decent amount of tickets, but very VERY many were simply given away

The actual # is likely the total dollar figure paid for them ... or they simply fudged it to whatever they wanted. :)

It's not financially viable unless these corporations are able to just write this shit off.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

None of the posts mentioned Meryl, so he just skipped over them.

Let's fix that for him:

From Guru:  

Catching Fire has some advantages it will capitalize on. The fan base is bigger, Jennifer Lawrence (who loves MERYL STREEP) is a much larger star now after her Oscar win, November is a busier month with more box office spending, and reviews are even better than for the last film, IN FACT, THEY ARE ON PAR WITH MERYL STREEP FILMS, Plus the earlier start on Thursday night at 8:00pm - which distributors always sneakily toss into Friday's gross - will mean more upfront business can be absorbed. Look for The Dark Knight Rises to lose its record for best opening weekend for a 2D film with its $160.9M. Beating the all-time record of $207.4M set by The Avengers will be very tough, but it is not completely impossible even with the lack of 3D.Fire probably will not have as low of a Saturday dip, DUE TO THE FACT THAT MERYL STREEP LOVES IT TOO.

Teens have not been excited by much that Hollywood has had to offer since the summer so look for them to fork over heaps of cash here for a film that truly excites them and is relevant to today's pop culture. Charging into over 4,100 theaters, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire might debut in the neighborhood of $180M this weekend including Thursday night shows and THAT WOULD PLEASE MERYL STREEP VERY MUCH.

• Like 3

Fandango is showing very strong business between the 7pm-10pm time slot in NYC, DC, Boston and, Miami, pretty much a 3 hour block of sold out showings. Especially in Boston and NYC

Thank god I bought my tickets in advance.