Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

Looking at popular blockbusters, IRON MAN and DARK KNIGHT didn't get a nomination (they were at 94% RT). Neither did STAR TREK (95% RT).

I'm not saying DH2 is getting nominated, but for the love of God, % can be very misleading, it's the average rating that matters the most. IM1's 7.6 vs DH2's 8.4. And let's not mention top critics, in which DH2 is higher than ALL of the LoTR films and TDK.

It is just not thew academy cup of tea.

For example Blockbuster that where Best Picture nominations

top critics 76% and 6.7 rating

ROTK

top critics 94% and 8.2 rating

blockbuster which did not get nominated

Walle

top critics 94% and 8.2 rating

The Dark Knight

top critics 89% and 7.9 rating

Star Trek

top critics 89% and 7.7 rating

in the end top critics or critics do not matter for the academ. Even non blockbuster look at The Reader

The Reader

top critics 53% and 5.5 rating

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

The "Top Critics" are different depending on what country you visit from. Although since AMPAS is made up of Americans I think the American top critics hold some weight.

Much of Avatar's buzz was based on being the highest grossing movie of all time, though. If it weren't such a huge success I doubt it would've been nominated.

Edited by tribefan695

The "Top Critics" are different depending on what country you visit from. Although since AMPAS is made up of Americans I think the American top critics hold some weight.

Much of Avatar's buzz was based on being the highest grossing movie of all time, though. If it weren't such a huge success I doubt it would've been nominated.

That explains lot I was thinking Avatar seems rather low.

What are the top critics for films in America? Are they different from the UK?

ROTK

Walle

TDK

Star Trek

I've given up on Rotten Tomatoes. Too many negative reviews are marked positive, and vice versa. I strictly go with Metacritic nowadays.

You should look at the average rating. While it does mean reviews that don't post a rating at all aren't counted, it's still almost always a bigger sample size than Metacritic.

Edited by tribefan695

Comments one prominent Academy member, who asked not to be named though he has no connection to the film:

It may not exactly be my kind of film -- I'm hardly a Potter aficionado -- but I think it should win. In a marketplace where the movies' connection to audiences is more tenuous than ever, the adulation and enduring love that a generation has for this series stands apart. It's powerful. For us as an industry not to give it that level of honor is injurious. It's not embracing what there is about the art form that truly endures."

Just get nominated, please!