CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

So if 32 is the number, DOS did 23m on Friday proper. That's only a mil off of AUJ after being off 4 during midnights. I'm thinking it could come close to matching AUJ's Sat number and could have a better run if WOM matches the reviews. Looks like I may have to put a comparison on my blog... ;)

• Like 5

So if 32 is the number, DOS did 23m on Friday proper. That's only a mil off of AUJ after being off 4 during midnights. I'm thinking it could come close to matching AUJ's Sat number and could have a better run if WOM matches the reviews. Looks like I may have to put a comparison on my blog... ;)

I agree with this
  • Like 1

Only because you guys asked:

Yes, I hated The Hobbit 2.  It bored me and none of the characters interested me in the least.

As for my feelings on the LOTR films, FOTR is in my top 10 films of all time.  I simply adore that film.  TTT was a bit of a let down even though Minas Tirith was insanely good and ROTK fell even further.  Both films rank about a 7/10 for me.  But the thing about the sequels is that for all their flaws, I can watch them anytime and never be bored.  And that's because I was much more invested in the characters.  With the Hobbit, I feel nothing towards the dwarves.  Nothing.  And both films have really bored me to the point where I fell asleep in the first one and wanted to walk out of the second.

FOTR & TTT, to me, are two of the best Fantasy action adventure movies ever made.

They are great even as stand-alone films. TROTK has some of the most epic

action ever committed to celluloid, even more grand than AVATAR final battle, as great

as that one is. But like AUJ & DOS, ROTK feels like an epilogue or a prologue, an extended

footnote for the main story. I prefer DOS for the better action, Cumberbatch voice acting, and

the whole escape-on-river sequence that is an example of sustained invention. 

What I have problem with are the main characters.

Thorin quest seems to consume him  and I feel that his character is slowly becoming unpleasant with his self-righteous vengefulness, and the end-justfies-the-means selfishness (almost leaving behind Bilbo in the dungeon with Smaug). 

Bilbo is still a bumbling, stuttering innocent who tags along for no good reason other than wanting to get a share of the loot. With his experience in AUJ, I thought he would be a little more sure-footed & courageous. He still manages to save the Hobbits at least TWICE in this movie. So the fierce, resolute dwarf warriors are somewhat useless in their quest ...without Mr Bean?

Legolas swinging into action is very well done. He is shown with better bow-and-arrow skill than Russell Crowe was in the boring ROBIN HOOD. But Tauriel story is slowing the movie down, I feel, even though I do feel the Hobbits need some romantic angle for the lasses in the audience. 

Although the movie cuts at the right moment to fuel anticipation of what Smaug would do to the lake town & for TABA, I don't like cliffhanger.

Still, Peter Jackson has successfully mounted an entertaining production with first rate visual fx, and well staged action sequences. There are beautiful shots in this movie reminding us Jackson still has the eyes for both hard-edged spectacle and poetic compositions. But with 2 HOBBITS films, I am yet to see the grand wonder of a bygone empire displayed in the first trilogies, the frightening viciousness of the villain, the splendor of the landscape, the gritty action sequences of TWO TOWERS & RETURN OF THE KING. 

• Like 2

31m is still a giant embarrassing drop from AUJ

It's 31.5-32.5, but still, 31 would mean 22m on Friday. AUJ did 24m. Not a "giant or embarrassing drop", but not exciting by any means. Although it has the potential to leg out more than AUJ, if it's received better than the first film. 

*reads title*

Anybody mind telling me what happened here?

The first range Rth gave was 26-31. So everyone focused on the 26, of course. I hope no one jumped out the window, but it's a distinct possibility. ;)

• Like 2

I'm thinking it could come close to matching AUJ's Sat number 

You don't think the big snowstorm will have an effect on Saturday? Was there a similar storm affecting AUJ's Saturday last year?

Edited by kitik

Bilbo is still a bumbling, stuttering innocent who tags along for no good reason other than wanting to get a share of the loot. With his experience in AUJ, I thought he would be a little more sure-footed & courageous. He still manages to save the Hobbits at least TWICE in this movie. So the fierce, resolute dwarf warriors are somewhat useless in their quest ...without Mr Bean?

I strongly disagree. Bilbo sure as hell is not the Bilbo from part 1. He is much more part of the company now and proactive, at the forefront of the action.

• Like 2