CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

I don't think it's a cynical cash-grab.

The LOTR trilogy is 3 books(obviously) weighing it at about 1350-1400 pages. It was made into 3 movies that totaled a little over 9 hours(theatrically). The Hobbit is one book that is about 275 pages. It is being made into 3 movies that will total roughly 7.5 hours. I don't want to blame Jackson, WB did set this trend with HP first after all, but I've seen his King Kong. At this point, they're just enabling him.

AUJ increased 15% from its (Friday - midnights) number. DOS's relevant Friday number then is 22.35 (31.15-8.8). Therefore, the goal for DOS is to gross more than 25.7m today, which is a 15% increase from the Friday day number.

I think it's quite doable, since the small difference in day gross compared to midnight gross indicates simply not as much a rush factor.

The LOTR trilogy is 3 books(obviously) weighing it at about 1350-1400 pages. It was made into 3 movies that totaled a little over 9 hours(theatrically).The Hobbit is one book that is about 275 pages. It is being made into 3 movies that will total roughly 7.5 hours.I don't want to blame Jackson, WB did set this trend with HP first after all, but I've seen his King Kong. At this point, they're just enabling him.

The tiresome pages argument which doesn't hold water.

• Like 3

The LOTR trilogy is 3 books(obviously) weighing it at about 1350-1400 pages. It was made into 3 movies that totaled a little over 9 hours(theatrically). The Hobbit is one book that is about 275 pages. It is being made into 3 movies that will total roughly 7.5 hours. I don't want to blame Jackson, WB did set this trend with HP first after all, but I've seen his King Kong. At this point, they're just enabling him.

Agree. WB should have said to Jackson you've got a total of 2 films limited to 320 minutes and that's it.

I get the reasoning, but when you actually read the Hobbit you realize just how little description Tolkien gives for so many things. The book moves along at the speed of lightning because it was intended to be a simple children's adventure. But then LOTR and the Appendices reveal how much Tolkien was retconning and how much was acutally under the surface.

• Like 4

I don't know if I'd call PJ's relentless crusade of bloat cynical. If anything he's overeager, and needs some people who'll tell him no. Obviously executives who are looking for the easy billion aren't going to be those people

• Like 4

Imho artistically the Hobbits suffer from splitting it in 3. Commercially it adds another billion to WB bank account. Kudos to them for being bold enough to do it.

• Like 2

Every movie could be 10 hours long if the creatives didn't care about restraint, pace and structure. I know there was more material out there, but there's always more material that gets trimmed from a script. There's only so much fluff you can pump into a story before its original throughline gets lost a bit

• Like 1