Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

I don't see how South Park is that much better than Despicable Me.

Actually being funny, for one.

If he were offering his writing credits on this it might give me some real hope. But since it's just vocal work it's clearly just an easy paycheck.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't see how South Park is that much better than Despicable Me.

Are you fucking insane?

South Park is both one of the most important animated shows ever made and still relevant, having just come off once its most acclaimed seasons yet. It's a true accomplishment in animation compared a lot of stuff acclaimed everywhere.

Not to mention Team America and Book of Mormon showing Trey Parker (and Matt Stone) can make some really great art if they spend their time on it. This though is utter trash. Fuck this movie.

• Like 2

LOVE the new DM3 details!

The idea of this villain sounds brilliant, reminds of me of DM1 in a way - I really like his backstory (sounds stronger than the DM2 villain who didn't have that anger in him)

If you’re thinking that this guy looks like he’s been ripped straight out of the 1980s, then you are absolutely correct. Balthazar Bratt is described as being a former ‘80s child star who has been pissed off at the world ever since he hit puberty and his show was cancelled. He hates being mocked, and that fact drives him to plot global domination – because people can’t make fun of you if you’re in charge of the Earth, right? 

And GRU having a twin brother? Wow, never thought of that.

For starters, it was revealed that a key theme in the movie will be sibling rivalry, and this will come about thanks to the sudden emergence of Drew, the long-lost identical twin of Gru. Steve Carell will be voicing both of the brothers in the sequel, and they really do look exactly the same – with the exceptions being that Drew has a full head of blond hair, and dresses all in white instead of shades of grey.

Sounds me to me Uni is being smart about how they handle DM3 and put Gru back into focus and not just stuff it with Minions from start to finish

Very excited about this movie. 300/700/1B!

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

An early drawing of Drew revealed that he will appear just like his villain brother in every way, except he will sport long, blonde hair. “I promise you he has crafted an equally infectious performance,” Meledandri said of Carell’s new character.

With Drew’s introduction into the franchise, Meledandri said the “heart” of the third installment will be “sibling rivalry.” Gru’s relationship will be his brother will be the “emotional spike” of the film.

http://www.ibtimes.com/despicable-me-3-adds-new-characters-plot-details-funny-villain-revealed-2353510

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

On 11 april 2016 at 10:19 PM, tribefan695 said:

There is potential for depth, but Illumination doesn't seem interested in exploring it

Which kinda brings the irony to how DW does to their own franchises like Kung Fu Panda & How To Train Your Dragon.

Cause in those film-series.....there is depth and enough room to know more about the characters.

And if Illumination can make a great franchise with DM.....they need to look at other big animated franchises and see how they make very good movies. And not just rely on being comedy-driven.....that can be a miss, when done wrong.

• Like 1

Oh boy. Two plots that will surely be woefully underwritten in favor of more minion scenes. I have no idea why Illumination bites off more than they can chew with their movies, it's clear they should just go the Minions route and be as simple as possible.

Also: Randy from South Park as the villian. Wow. I guarantee you that the only reason Trey agreed to do this is that he'll be writing his own songs for it. The dude is a sucker for music.

LOVE the new DM3 details!

The idea of this villain sounds brilliant, reminds of me of DM1 in a way - I really like his backstory (sounds stronger than the DM2 villain who didn't have that anger in him)

If you’re thinking that this guy looks like he’s been ripped straight out of the 1980s, then you are absolutely correct. Balthazar Bratt is described as being a former ‘80s child star who has been pissed off at the world ever since he hit puberty and his show was cancelled. He hates being mocked, and that fact drives him to plot global domination – because people can’t make fun of you if you’re in charge of the Earth, right? 

And GRU having a twin brother? Wow, never thought of that.

For starters, it was revealed that a key theme in the movie will be sibling rivalry, and this will come about thanks to the sudden emergence of Drew, the long-lost identical twin of Gru. Steve Carell will be voicing both of the brothers in the sequel, and they really do look exactly the same – with the exceptions being that Drew has a full head of blond hair, and dresses all in white instead of shades of grey.

Sounds me to me Uni is being smart about how they handle DM3 and put Gru back into focus and not just stuff it with Minions from start to finish

Very excited about this movie. 300/700/1B!

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

Oh boy. Two plots that will surely be woefully underwritten in favor of more minion scenes. I have no idea why Illumination bites off more than they can chew with their movies, it's clear they should just go the Minions route and be as simple as possible.

Also: Randy from South Park as the villian. Wow. I guarantee you that the only reason Trey agreed to do this is that he'll be writing his own songs for it. The dude is a sucker for music.

i actually think they did the right thing ( at least in theory until we see the film) by keeping a bigger focus on Gru (and his twin) in the story instead of just making the story around the minions (like in dm2).

I think they realized Gru is a major part of the story and needs to be retained. I also think the new villain will be better than al macho because that guy had no backstory, he was just funny for the sake of funny. I really like the idea of an abandoned child star who can't cope with growing up and being shunned from fame. The idea of someone stuck in old times and resting on old laurles can be potentially interesting and hasn't been explored a lot in animated films. I think that's a fresh plotpoint.

Edited by MinaTakla

Up and The Incredibles explored that theme to pretty satisfying effect, imo. 

I have serious doubts that they'll do anything more with that premise beyond giving him a motivation to seek revenge on Gru. They're not going to make you really identify or sympathize with him.

We can't know until we see the actual film. I'd rather stay optimistic especially that the same writers of dm1 and dm2 are the ones handling this. They're stronger than Lynch who handled Minions.

edit: also I haven't seen animated films handling the deminse of child stars and their misery once fame is gone. Dark topic, when you look at real life, but for sure illumination is doing this for different age groups so they'll have to tone it down a lot. Still, very interesting. 

Pixar and Disney are great - but they aren't the only successful companies out there. They are the most successful, sure, but other companies like illumination have been coming on real strong and are great players in a market that can only thrive with competition. That's why illumination, wb animation, DW etc are the best thing that can happen to Disney.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1