Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, pretty much. And because they outsource their animation labor to keep their films cheap. It doesn't seem like a very fun place to work

It's not uncommon for animation studios to outsource to save on cost, The Lego Movie was animated in Australia, Sony are in Vancouver and DWA have outsourced to China and India. The Lego Movie looks amazing and it cost the same as DM. I think the issue with Illumination is with storytelling, they seem to lock the story early on without realising where problems might arise whereas Pixar, WDAS work on the story. 

It's not uncommon for animation studios to outsource to save on cost, The Lego Movie was animated in Australia, Sony are in Vancouver and DWA have outsourced to China and India. The Lego Movie looks amazing and it cost the same as DM. I think the issue with Illumination is with storytelling, they seem to lock the story early on without realising where problems might arise whereas Pixar, WDAS work on the story. 

True, but from an article I read about them a few years ago (think it was NY Times but I'm not sure) it just seemed like feeling and depth in their movies is a very minimal consideration compared to marketability and cost effectiveness. Mercenary filmmaking to the extreme. And it doesn't please me when I get that sense from other studio franchises either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

True, but from an article I read about them a few years ago (think it was NY Times but I'm not sure) it just seemed like feeling and depth in their movies is a very minimal consideration compared to marketability and cost effectiveness. Mercenary filmmaking to the extreme. And it doesn't please me when I get that sense from other studio franchises either

What exactly do you mean by that? Whatever the shortcomings of Dreamworks and Pixar,they only have themselves to blame.

• Like 1

What exactly do you mean by that? Whatever the shortcomings of Dreamworks and Pixar,they only have themselves to blame.

Uh, yeah, that's my point. But so far Illumination hasn't made something transcendent that would mitigate such a business model. They can't even pretend they're making these films to hedge their bets on something riskier the way Pixar can. The company as a whole just rubs me the wrong way

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Uh, yeah, that's my point. But so far Illumination hasn't made something transcendent that would mitigate such a business model. They can't even pretend they're making these films to hedge their bets on something riskier the way Pixar can. The company as a whole just rubs me the wrong way

I thought you were implying that Illumination was influencing other studios into making pandering crap.

• Like 1

Illumination did strike gold with DM but while I quite liked Minions and DM2, both Hop and The Lorax left a lot to be desired and I hope The Secret Life of Pets and Sing are good because I think Illumination will gain a reputation for lazy storytelling which won't be good long term. DreamWorks Animation coasted along thanks to Shrek and it hit them hard as other studios stepped up their game and also releasing three films a year which lead to over saturation. If Illumination aren't careful, the same will happen to them. 

A lot of project they were developing like a stop motion Addams Family film and a few live action films got abandoned in favour of animation which is a shame because I would like to see Illumination tackle a live action family film.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Illumination did strike gold with DM but while I quite liked Minions and DM2, both Hop and The Lorax left a lot to be desired and I hope The Secret Life of Pets and Sing are good because I think Illumination will gain a reputation for lazy storytelling which won't be good long term. DreamWorks Animation coasted along thanks to Shrek and it hit them hard as other studios stepped up their game and also releasing three films a year which lead to over saturation. If Illumination aren't careful, the same will happen to them. 

A lot of project they were developing like a stop motion Addams Family film and a few live action films got abandoned in favour of animation which is a shame because I would like to see Illumination tackle a live action family film.

Can't those projects just be released under a Universal Pictures brand?

• Like 1

Whoa, I didn't realize this franchise could top DM2 with an uninspired plot, but "Gru has a secret twin brother who was never mentioned in the three other movies in this franchise" is lower than I'd expect they go. Actively insulting to audiences of all ages.

• Like 2

I thought you were implying that Illumination was influencing other studios into making pandering crap.

Well, I don't think Pixar is making Cars 3 because of the success of the Minions, but I do fear the message it's sending to other up and coming studios.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, I don't think Pixar is making Cars 3 because of the success of the Minions, but I do fear the message it's sending to other up and coming studios.

Lol, there is no such thing. Do you know what barriers to entry are?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blank Panther said:

Whoa, I didn't realize this franchise could top DM2 with an uninspired plot, but "Gru has a secret twin brother who was never mentioned in the three other movies in this franchise" is lower than I'd expect they go. Actively insulting to audiences of all ages.

On twitter the writer clarified saying Gru's twin was seperated from him at birth, and that Gru never knew this was true in the first place, so it's not like Gru already knew and forgot about it. He will be surprised in the film just as we will.

I think if they play it right, it won't be insulting at all. i would love to see them addressing questions like why they were seperated, how this influenced the way his mother treated him etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

On twitter the writer clarified saying Gru's twin was seperated from him at birth, and that Gru never knew this was true in the first place, so it's not like Gru already knew and forgot about it. He will be surprised in the film just as we will.

I think if they play it right, it won't be insulting at all. i would love to see them addressing questions like why they were seperated, how this influenced the way his mother treated him etc.

Yeah, alright, but knowing Illumination, the mother won't be mentioned, and Drew will just be LOVED by the kids and his wife while Gru gets jealous because sibling rivalry naturally would happen when they're both 50-years-old and have never seen each other ever.

This is why people hate Hollywood

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Trey Parker is a confused middle age man who wants an easy paycheck. How wouldn't they get him on board?

He probably has a shit ton of money from the successful TV show, successful Broadway show, successful video game, or succeeded movies. He probably isn't hurtimg

• Like 1