kayumanggi

Weekend #s | SAT (12.28.2013) 10.5 M TH: TDOS | 09.7 M - 10.0 M FROZEN | 07.4 M AM ll | 07.2 M AH

Probably going to be very, very close either way, but in the past when the calendar has lined up similarly (2002, 2007, 2012), this is one of those rare weekends where films aimed at adults hold up slightly better than films aimed at families on SAT/SUN.  Prob. due to some people going back to work on FRI, while hardly any kids will go back to school that day.

Don't kill my hopes just like that. Let me enjoy first this battle <_<

• Founder / Operator

This is the fun part about tracking the box office.  Before DOS opened, many were hoping for 300.  Then it opened softer than most thought it would and the doom and gloom came out.  Now that it is on track to gross about 270, suddenly that is a great number.   :wiggle:

I've not done any kind of count, but based on this forum's general consensus, I'd wager your "under 280m club" (which will probably still happen) had way more participants than anyone predicting $300m or more. And after the OW came in, many here were saying it wouldn't even hit $240m or 250m.

Edited by ShawnMR

If Hobbit skews more adult, you could make an argument that there were more adults working yesterday and thus didn't have time to see a movie until night time. I worked yesterday. Meanwhile, all kids are out of school. Though someone has to take them...

I don't buy the Hobbit winning either, but it's a conceivable point.

Makes sense but I just did a lookup on 4th of July in 2012 which fell on a Weds.  Different season I know but still the 4th of July is a major holiday with adults going back to work after and kids are out of school.  Sort of the same scenario and movies such as Brave and Madagascar went up.  

I still think Frozen goes up but let's see.

Another amazing tidbit, Frozen is again number 1 on it's 36th day of release.   :D

Edit: last time a movie was number 1 was, no surprise Avatar. ECSTASY, I'm borrowing your term Frozetar.  :D

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

LOL I bet Fox wishes they had another Alvin movie to throw into the mix right about now. Guaranteed 100m, lol. WWD is not cutting it.

Or Night at the Museum 3, heh. Next year, Fox... next year.

• Like 4

I've not done any kind of count, but based on this forum's general consensus, I'd wager your "under 280m club" (which will probably still happen) had way more participants than anyone predicting $300m or more. And after the OW came in, many here were saying it wouldn't even hit $240m or 250m.

Yes, you are probably correct.  

Likely 410-415 + now.

We always underestimate late legs for films.

I think many thought IM3 would not hit 400 million it made 409 million in the end. 

That was mainly due to the number of double features IM3 had late in its run to cross 400m.

And LOL at people saying Disney doesn't care if CF crosses IM3. They did care to fudge it over THG with all those double features.

That was mainly due to the number of double features IM3 had late in its run to cross 400m.

And LOL at people saying Disney doesn't care if CF crosses IM3. They did care to fudge it over THG with all those double features.

lol, they don't. It made 1.2B+ WW Disney more then content.  ;)  :P

Go hobbit for a 3rd weekend at n1!!!Even if there's a copy out there I'm still going to see this in theatre Some movies are meant to be seen on a big screen and middle earth is one of them nuff said! Of course once it leaves my theatre and until dvd becomes available that's a whole other situation where given I would need my hobbit 2 fix an online copy would be an option to consider

• Like 1

I just hit 15K posts!!!!!!!!!! Awesome time to follow one of the best BO runs I've ever seen.  :D

Very nice. :D

Of course, if you take out the Frozen posts your total is only about 1000, adjusted.Posted Image

Couldn't resist mimicking the types of posts we see about Frozen.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2