Fullbuster

The Lego Movie (2014) OS Thread

Still havent seen this (really late release in Germany/Austria) and i will certainly watch it in english (which is not that easy here since everything is being dubbed into german). I assume legos humor is very pop culture centered and i guess also relies on puns, both of which do not translate that well into other languages. Will be interesting to see whether german audiences will connect with the movie since most of them will not see it in german...

Do you think How to Train your Dragon 2 will have a solid increase in Japan?

Well, the first scored excellent reviews despite being a box-office dud.  I've seen it ranked on different movie sites'Top 50/100 best reviewed movies.  I don't think DVD sales were impressive, but maybe it found some audience since then.

I just hope the sequel gets released!  Animated films from Dreamworks/Blue Sky/Sony have been struggling to put it nicely.  The Croods and Turbo weren't released, and I know Rio 2 won't see a release.  I'm surprised The Lego Movie got a release.  Warner Bros. and the success in the States is probably the only reason it did (in only 98 theaters though).

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is on the schedule for 2014, however, but doesn't have a release date yet.  Fox is listed as the distributor so I'm going assume it'll be released, probably in September or October.  I doubt it does much, but it can't really do much less than the first film, so...

A big box-office in the States and worldwide, along with the same critical consensus as the original, would really help it out.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 4

I think a lot of it isn't so much that Lego is underperforming in most markets, but rather that the US and UK markets are vastly over performing. To be sure it isn't quite doing as well as it should in other markets, but in those cases it's more like down 10-20% rather than the US or UK where it's doing about 60% or so better than expected. If the US gross was heading for 150m the OS gross would be seen as "could be better, but it's okay".

I noticed sk and Japan are opposites when it comes to hollywood animated films. Disney&pixar do really poorly in korea while dreamworks does really really well. I think the opposite is true in Japan.

You're correct.

Though Pixar films are still way ahead of Disney films at the box-office.  Pixar >>>> Disney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dreamworks>>>>>>>>>Other (Blu Sky, etc.).  

Shrek 2 is the highest-grossing Dreamworks film with only 2.5 billion yen (~$23 million), and it can thank that number due to its insane box-office in North America and elsewhere creating hype for it before it was released.

Dreamworks and other animation studios are having a hard time finding distributors for their animated films in recent years, too.  Bee Movie, Megamind, Rio, Ice Age 4, The Croods... all these never got released because investors lost money on their other films disappointing/bombing.  And that's saying something considering practically everything from Hollywood, France, Italy, Korea, and other countries eventually sees a theatrical release of some kind in Japan.

• Like 1

(Mr Peabody 105M$, Frozen 610M$). Many of non english-original language people tells that it loses much of its meaning with dubbing.But only 75M$ outside of USA and UK

Which isn't exactly a problem for a film with a mere $60 millon production cost.