Fullbuster

The Lego Movie (2014) OS Thread

Am I the only one who thought this was massively overrated? I certainly don't see how it merits a 96% RT score.

Agreed, I haven't seen The Lego Movie yet but I'm certain it's not as good as Frozen.  The characters mostly seem kind of boring and I'm not exactly fond of the animation (though that may change when I see the movie).  Plus, the characters of Lego seem mostly bland.  Not to mention comparison in impact: 

Lego Movie:

-Pretty popular when it came out, but people stop talking about it shortly after it leaves theaters (mostly). 

Frozen:

-Chart-topping in film/soundtrack sales

-Broadway play in production

-ice show starting September

-sing-alongs in theaters and on Good Morning America (and the ice show if what I've read on the site is any indication)

-many people knowing the songs

-Let It Go being on the radio/in remix albums/on a CD with 50 alternate language versions on iTunes

-5-hour-long waits to meet the characters at Disney World 

-the Once Upon a Time crossover

-merchandise unable to be kept in stock

-doing HUGE in Japan, at over 200m now when initially 90m (gross of Monsters University) was thought to be the absolute optimistic limit, and 300m is a possibility

-still going overseas and in some domestic theaters even though Lego came out a couple months later

To have RT give it a higher score than Frozen is shameful.

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 1

That's lame... We already knew it would happen for like 6 weeks...I mean, on the Jap forum they are altready talking about 300M + for over a month

Talking about 6-week predictions, do you tell me who win the world cup? So I will be able to place a bet.

Agreed, I haven't seen The Lego Movie yet but I'm certain it's not as good as Frozen.  The characters mostly seem kind of boring and I'm not exactly fond of the animation (though that may change when I see the movie).  Plus, the characters of Lego seem mostly bland.  Not to mention comparison in impact: 

You haven't seen the movie and yet you make all these assumptions.

Well, while it is true that I haven't seen the movie yet (and I know from Frozen not to judge a movie by it's trailer since I thought it would be just a comedy), I have seen a review of it that goes into more detail on that person's thoughts on the story, animation, and characters.  It seems that most of the characters that have depth to them are the side characters like Batman and Morgan Freeman's character, and not so much Emmet who's literally an ordinary guy even though everyone calls him the chosen one.  I do want to see it, and I'll probably like it, I just don't think I'll like it to the point of it deserving as high a score as Toy Story 3 or How to Train Your Dragon.

Well, while it is true that I haven't seen the movie yet (and I know from Frozen not to judge a movie by it's trailer since I thought it would be just a comedy), I have seen a review of it that goes into more detail on that person's thoughts on the story, animation, and characters.  It seems that most of the characters that have depth to them are the side characters like Batman and Morgan Freeman's character, and not so much Emmet who's literally an ordinary guy even though everyone calls him the chosen one.  I do want to see it, and I'll probably like it, I just don't think I'll like it to the point of it deserving as high a score as Toy Story 3 or How to Train Your Dragon.

I have seen this movie both in english and in dubbed italian, and i agree with FrozenUnicorn.

• Like 1

Frozen:

-Chart-topping in film/soundtrack sales

-Broadway play in production

-ice show starting September

-sing-alongs in theaters and on Good Morning America (and the ice show if what I've read on the site is any indication)

-many people knowing the songs

-Let It Go being on the radio/in remix albums/on a CD with 50 alternate language versions on iTunes

-5-hour-long waits to meet the characters at Disney World 

-the Once Upon a Time crossover

-merchandise unable to be kept in stock

-doing HUGE in Japan, at over 200m now when initially 90m (gross of Monsters University) was thought to be the absolute optimistic limit, and 300m is a possibility

-still going overseas and in some domestic theaters even though Lego came out a couple months later

So a "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" cameo by another Disney 3D character is worthy of discussion, but a Justice League/LOTR/Star Wars team up is casually dismissed?

The Lego Movie is head and shoulders above Frozen. 

Matter of opinion of course but the fact that it was only successful in several key markets shows that globally, not many people share this sentiment. The sheer stupidity of everything being the main laughing point of the film got old quick and the whole thing felt like an extended commercial. Perhaps you could explain to me in your own words why it merits 96% RT score?

• Like 1

I don't get it, why can't we have both? I mean, neither of them is GOAT but come on, don't hate on one just because you love the other. I swear, the internetz is sometimes just too much for me...

So a "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" cameo by another Disney 3D character is worthy of discussion, but a Justice League/LOTR/Star Wars team up is casually dismissed?

It's not really a "blink and you miss it" cameo because it was confirmed she's going to be the main apparent villain of the Season 4 premiere.  If what the producers have said is any indication, more Frozen characters will appear, and the OUaT gang may even travel to Arendelle.  So yeah, while it was just a "blink and you miss it" teaser at the end of the season 3 finale, there is gonna be a pretty substantial crossover next season.  

And did a Justice League/LOTR/Star Wars crossover happen in The Lego Movie?  I'm a fan of all three (mainly LOTR and SW though) and that does sound pretty awesome. :D  But I'm talking about cultural impact outside of the scope of the film itself, whereas that seems to be a cultural reference within the film.  

I don't get it, why can't we have both? I mean, neither of them is GOAT but come on, don't hate on one just because you love the other. I swear, the internetz is sometimes just too much for me...

I'm not really hating on Lego (in fact I'm pretty sure I'll like it), I'm just saying that I don't think it deserves as high a score on RT as HTTYD or TS3, and that Frozen deserves higher.  Before seeing Frozen, my sister and I heard pretty much positive things about it from all of our friends who mentioned it.  When we heard opinions about The Lego Movie though, some people loved it and others said it was really bad.  So the reaction seemed more mixed.  Considering these mixed reactions I've heard and read from people, I'm just surprised that the RT is as high as it is, especially because it doesn't translate as well in all markets. 

And pardon my ignorance, but what's GOAT?

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 1

And pardon my ignorance, but what's GOAT?

Greatest Of All Time :)

As for RT, it's a flawed system and there are many factors why some movies get higher scores than others. LEGO may have gotten such a great score just because it was released in a sea of awful movies and it was a breath of fresh air while Frozen was released surrounded by great movies. Also, I know some critics don't like singing...

And yeah, I wouldn't judge a movie based on critical reception or other people's reactions. Just see for yourself and enjoy :)

• Like 3

Talking about 6-week predictions, do you tell me who win the world cup? So I will be able to place a bet.

The only thing I can say, DON'T BET ON BELGIUM, plz DON'T.

I thin Belgium is the most overratted team in the hole world, I don't know but I think even you would beat them... XD

So don't bet on Belgium