LexJoker

Thursday #s (1/2) | FRZ 5.2, DOS 4, WOWS 2.7, AM2 2.6,AH 2.5(Rth)

I said, "especially when it comes to actresses". Hathaway, Streep, Portman, Bullock, Cotillard, etc., all showy performances and far from subtle.

I really don't see how Bullock was a showy performance

It was good but I still think she's better in Silver Linings Playbook and Hustle. David O Russel has done a great job recently at pulling out strong, realistic performances.I am thinking though Lawrence might get another nom next year if Selena actually comes out.

J-Law in Hustle? Realistic? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

It was good but I still think she's better in Silver Linings Playbook and Hustle. David O Russel has done a great job recently at pulling out strong, realistic performances.I am thinking though Lawrence might get another nom next year if Selena actually comes out.

Eh my thoughts about it are on the last few pages. CF > SLP > Hustle > THG > Xmen. She doesnt deserve oscar talk for Hustle IMO, but if you switch that with CF ill join the bandwagon. Edited by Jandrew

Oh I so disagree. JLaw's performance in CF just destroys her performance in SLP. To me it's a no brainer.

I disagree here. I think Bale and Jackman do some of their best work in The Prestige and Guy Pearce is fantastic in Memento too.

They are good, but again I don't see them on an overly high level.Plus, I am talking more recent Nolan as well (post Batman), as a director he has been on a slow downhill slide post-Dark knight (we'll see if Interstellar can break the trend and be Memento quality or if it will be more typical, safe, mainstream Nolan and be like Inception or TDKR)

Jackman maybe. Bale in The Prestige didn't leave much of an impression on me. 

Bale was really good, but it's not quite his best performance.  There are definitely a few better than his work in the Prestige. However, Jackman was fantastic. Probably his best performance I've seen until Prisoners.

Not going to comment on Les Mis.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Eh my thoughts about it are on the last few pages. CF > SLP > Hustle > THG > Xmen. She doesnt deserve oscar talk for Hustle IMO, but if you switch that with CF ill join the bandwagon.

I'd say even her performance in THG was better tha SLP. I was shocked she got the award SLP.

I really don't see how Bullock was a showy performanceJ-Law in Hustle? Realistic? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

I'll admit, many of the characters in Hustle are over the top, but the dialogue flows spectacularly and is realistic, but that's more credit to the screenplay.Although, I don't see how CF was her strongest performance, I'd argue she was better in Winter's Bone than Catching Fire. But that says a lot given that she was great in CF.

I'd say even her performance in THG was better tha SLP. I was shocked she got the award SLP.

I havent seen THG in a while, I'd have to watch again, but I think i'd switch THG with Hustle, but her in SLP was more memorable to me than THG, especially the scene where she talks football to everyone. Edited by Jandrew

I really don't see how Bullock was a showy performanceJ-Law in Hustle? Realistic? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

I'll admit, many of the characters in Hustle are over the top, but the dialogue flows spectacularly and is realistic, but that's more credit to the screenplay.Although, I don't see how CF was her strongest performance, I'd argue she was better in Winter's Bone than Catching Fire. But that says a lot given that she was great in CF.

Really? I thought he was astonishing in it. My personal favourite performance from any Nolan film. 

Yeah. Jackman was great, Bale was good. But tbf the most memorable thing for me in The Prestige was Scarlett Johansson's cleavage. 

The best characters in Hustle were the semi-realistic ones (Bale, Adams, and Renner)

Jackman's such a ham. idk. Great in The Prestige. How many times did he desperately yell "WHERE'S MY OSCAR?" in Prisoners? And sing-yell that in Les Mis?

Yeah, Jackman wasn't realistic in prisoners, to over the top.Sometimes (especially with big actors) smaller is better. DDL was fairly subtle for playing Lincoln, which is why he deserved his win.I found Waltz also subtle and he didn't have an Oscar begging scene in Django at all.

Jackman's such a ham. idk. Great in The Prestige. How many times did he desperately yell "WHERE'S MY OSCAR?" in Prisoners? And sing-yell that in Les Mis?

Jackman was "hauntingly" brilliant in Prisoners.

His best performance to date IMO.

I've heard stories of people who go insane because they lose someone important to them, so it didn't seem unrealistic to me at all.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2