Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I like the film series but I have no desire to see it in theaters and catch it on Netflix.

However I think this will get over 500 million overseas.

The last one did like 305M OS, and only 30M from China. So if China explodes then yes.

In China Spidey, Apes and Dunkirk opening within a 10 day period. Dunkirk will take the hit due to it's subject matter I guess. Spidey and Apes will duke it out. Normally would say Spidey has the edge but Dawn surprised with 100m in China so who knows.

36 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Real shame if true. This deserves better.

It really doesn't.

Saw the last one and the whole premise was just plain stupid, they went from a dozen apes escaping from a research lab to 1000's in just a few years.

...and an SAS squad would wipe the whole colony out in under an hour.

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

It really doesn't.

Saw the last one and the whole premise was just plain stupid, they went from a dozen apes escaping from a research lab to 1000's in just a few years.

Mmmmmm they never had a dozen. They had like 30 or so form the Ape sanctuary, then they freed all the apes in the Zoo and the apes in the Laboratory.  They probably closer to 100 at the end. Then guess what the next movie is like 8/10 years later. So I'm sure they freed and picked up lots of apes over  decade. They haven't even seen a human in 3 years they say in Dawn. Plus you can have a lot sex in 10 years. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

It really doesn't.

If something that nitpicky can ruin a movie for you, you must not like a lot of movies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Mmmmmm they never had a dozen. They had like 30 or so form the Ape sanctuary, then they freed all the apes in the Zoo and the apes in the Laboratory.  They probably closer to 100 at the end. Then guess what the next movie is like 8/10 years later. So I'm sure they freed and picked up lots of apes over  decade. They haven't even seen a human in 3 years they say in Dawn. Plus you can have a lot sex in 10 years. 

Yes but they didn't inhale "smart gas" and they have human scale gestation periods, it would take a thousand years to get a population like that.

......and even if they did get smart, apes don't have functioning opposable thumbs, they couldn't even throw a rock at you let alone hold a spear or a bow and arrow.

6 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Yes but they didn't inhale "smart gas" and they have human scale gestation periods, it would take a thousand years to get a population like that.

......and even if they did get smart, apes don't have functioning opposable thumbs, they couldn't even throw a rock at you let alone hold a spear or a bow and arrow.

All great apes have opposable thumbs. And I'm pretty sure it was at least implied that the disease that was killing humans was what made the apes smart, so they didn't need the "smart gas" to end up being intelligent.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, aabattery said:

All great apes have opposable thumbs. And I'm pretty sure it was at least implied that the disease that was killing humans was what made the apes smart, so they didn't need the "smart gas" to end up being intelligent.

They don't have "Functioning" opposable thumbs. Its half the size and much weaker than a human thumb.

The hands of our ancestors millions of years ago were much like those of modern chimpanzees, whose hands, palms and fingers are much longer, and thumbs are much smaller and weaker. Evolved to accommodate knuckle walking and climbing through trees, their fingers are curved, and the tips lack the broad bones (apical tufts) to support the highly sensitive, wide fatty pads of human fingertips.

Altogether, this produces a hand that works very well for hooking onto horizontal supports (e.g., tree branches) but can easily lose its grip when waiving a stick and has little strength or precision when attempting to squeeze or pinch.

http://gizmodo.com/why-aren-t-human-fingers-all-the-same-length-1718976848

18 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They don't have "Functioning" opposable thumbs. Its half the size and much weaker than a human thumb.

http://gizmodo.com/why-aren-t-human-fingers-all-the-same-length-1718976848

Their thumbs still function, just not as easily as ours. Regardless, chimpanzees have been observed using spears in the past (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070222-chimps-spears.html).

It's not that unbelievable that some super-intelligent apes would be capable of wielding more complex weapons.

End of the day, this is a movie. The premise doesn't have to be completely airtight to be enjoyable.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 2

Shit. I only just realised it's 2 weeks behind Domestic here.

I hope none of you bastards spoil there being a funny photo of James Franco in the movie. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

I've noticed some pattern which could suggest that War Apes is quite a polarising film in critic review,

wonder woman

92%
Average Rating: 7.5/10
Reviews Counted: 317
Fresh: 291
Rotten: 26

SMH 
93%
Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 226
Fresh: 210
Rotten: 16

LOGAN
93%
Average Rating: 7.9/10
Reviews Counted: 301
Fresh: 279
Rotten: 22

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES

93%

Average Rating: 8.2/10
Reviews Counted: 90
Fresh: 84
Rotten: 6

Four of those blockbuster scored about 92%-93% in their aggregate score, but apes has the highest average rating of 8.2 among 4, compared to 7.5 and 7.6 from WW and SMH,which could mean that the critic who doesn't like apes, are really dislike it and give it very low mark....or could be for WW and SMH, those critics who liked it, don't really give an extreme high of rating   
  • Like 1

Just came from watching it. 

I loved the technical and dramatic aspects of it (no surprise regarding the VFX), and a lot of times Id just watch in amazement at how real they looked. I even think they outdid Dawn this time.

Caesar is the MVP, and Maurice/Rocket/Bad Ape were standouts to me as well. 

These apes go through some hard stuff damn. 

The movie actually had moments that were clearly meant to be amusing or even outright funny..didnt expect that after the previous two. Those moments didnt seem forced though.

Some things I werent exactly fond of, though:

The movie moves at a really nice pace until it kinda slows down during the Bad Ape scenes (IMO, plus I heard snoring at this point :( ). But it picks up shortly after. 

It kinda wrapped up too quickly and neatly for me too.

I think those few slow scenes and the lack of onscreen depiction of an actual "War" may have a big effect on the GA, especially here in my country.

Most of the audience in the theater were also middle-aged. Most minors were babies or toddlers clearly brought along with their parents. I dont think I saw any teens. 

I really like this movie, but I think Dawn still edges this out. 

3.5/4

• Like 3

Wow, that means a lot to me coming from you, sir...

darren aronofsky@DarrenAronofsky
apes WAR is great. mix 10commandments w/ 7samurai w/ cool hand luke, show respect for 1968 apes and the result is beautiful @mattreevesLA
6 réponses48 Retweets337 

• Like 2