Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

8 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I closed my eyes whenever it was on. I started to consider listening to music as well so I can't hear the dialogue in trailers. 

A trick I use is to push my ears closed and open repeatedly.   That makes it impossible to understand words.   If you just push your ears closed you can still make out what they say.

Welp, whatever feels I had left after seeing Logan are now gone after watching War for the Planet of the Apes. Such a great movie and a great finish to Caesar's story. It's as dark as advertised. Like Logan, there are very few "feel good" moments in the movie, though it didn't feel as bleak as Logan did. Whatever doubt I had left in Reeves directing Batman disappeared while watching this. I need more time to process this, but right now I give it a 9/10 (maybe 9.5).

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MrGamer2558 said:

Welp, whatever feels I had left after seeing Logan are now gone after watching War for the Planet of the Apes. Such a great movie and a great finish to Caesar's story. It's as dark as advertised. Like Logan, there are very few "feel good" moments in the movie, though it didn't feel as bleak as Logan did. Whatever doubt I had left in Reeves directing Batman disappeared while watching this. I need more time to process this, but right now I give it a 9/10 (maybe 9.5).

Congrats, you saw all 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I saw 2 hours less than that :apocalypse: 

• Like 3

So the cast came to my job yesterday and of course I WAS GOING TO ASK A QUESTION

Can somebody teach me how to use the damn Facebook embedded thing so you guys won't have to find the link? OH WELL HERE IT IS!

https://www.facebook.com/RendyReviews/videos/1456262674466683/

(its four minutes so you know it means business).

Here's the review if anyone hasn't read: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-review

Edited by rjones1325

This couldn't have been more different from what I was expecting, especially with that title. I liked it, but never would have imagined this as the movie we got. Definitely think Dawn is still the best, this wasn't as flawless as that. Thought the first half was a bit slow and there's some things about the film overall I could definitely nitpick. May be my least favorite of the trilogy by a small margin below Rise, but still enjoyed it and a fantastic trilogy overall. Definitely can join the best trilogies in film history. 

• Like 1

I hope this is one of those rare sequels to match the legs of the predecessor which is getting tougher due to earlier previews and inflated OWs. Not to mention pin point social media marketing bringing more and more troops out earlier on.

DAWN did about 2.87x.

To beat RISE's total of ~176, WAR might need something like 61-62 ow / 2.85-2.9x multi.

I will give in to Tomato Law if it happens.

32 minutes ago, nick64 said:

Metacritic score has gone up to 81 :D Biggest in the franchise now, and third major wide release this year to score above an 80 (Baby Driver, Get Out). This needs to smash...

I hope it stays at an 81 at least. Anything above 80 on MC is elite territory for a blockbuster. In comparison, the Dark Knight has an 82, and a 94% on RT. This currently is just one point short of each of those.

While it may not quite match up, I think we have enough of a sample size to say that the critical reception for this film is in the same league as TDK. And that's a very special honor. I walked out of Dawn feeling like it was essentially TDK of this franchise, but the fact that this could top Dawn is certainly intriguing to me. Hopefully I agree with that once I get a chance to see this. I'll be going in with as low expectations as possible and hoping this at least matches Rise.

11 minutes ago, Bernie86 said:

Is this a spoiler or a non-spoiler Topic? I'm not sure, so i'm asking now

If it's the spoiler thread, then I need to leave ASAP.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, superduperm said:

I hope it stays at an 81 at least. Anything above 80 on MC is elite territory for a blockbuster. In comparison, the Dark Knight has an 82, and a 94% on RT. This currently is just one point short of each of those.

While it may not quite match up, I think we have enough of a sample size to say that the critical reception for this film is in the same league as TDK.

Other live-action summer blockbusters have scored 80+ at Metacritic, some examples...

Minority Report - 80

Prisoner of Azkaban - 82

Spider-man 2 - 83

Bourne Ultimatum - 85

Dark Knight - 82

Star Trek - 82

Drag Me To Hell - 83

District 9 - 81

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 87

Snowpiercer - 84

Mad Max Fury Road - 90

Baby Driver - 86

...I'm sure there are more but that's a dozen May through August releases that dropped in the 21st Century with an 80+ Metascore that sprung to mind.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Even if the bo of War ends up being uneven with the reception, one can bank on solid auxiliary revenue. The entire trilogy will see strong post theatrical revenue for a long long time. Not to mention that owing to high quality, they have ensured the continuation of the Apes saga. 

At a time when studios are searching for franchises and universes, there is room for potentially another trilogy in this franchise. So even if War ends up well short of Dawn's 700+ global cume, I don't think the studio will feel much down about it.

Edit: Having said that, higher-ups should still look into how they could have better marketed War.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1