Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

For 75 OW, can see something like this if previews are 6+, accounting for significant front-loading compared to DAWN for the sake of argument ...

6.0 + 24.50 (4.1x) + 25.50 (+4.1%) + 19.10 (-25.0%) = 75.1 for WAR, compared to

4.1 + 23.55 (5.7x) + 25.50 (+8.3%) + 19.47 (-23.7%) = 72.6 for DAWN

Let me know your thoughts...

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Re-watching Dawn (finally). It's good but the first half is much slower than I remember.

Yeah, had that feeling too. I liked it a lot but on 2nd watch there were parts that felt slower. Rise was more well paced.

2 hours ago, nick64 said:

I didn't pay much attention to box office at the time, what were predictions like for Rise and Dawn? I imagine they both overperformed, and I think I expect this to do the same. Tons of people love and respect this series, but it doesn't have a superhero-like rabid fanbase that buys tons of advanced tickets and stuff like that, so I think it's easy to underestimate it.

Rise's 54m OW came out of nowhere at least for me. The trailers looked dumb and I never thought it would open to even 2/3 of what it did. 

Dawn, following Rise, did about what was expected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

...the craft and direction is great...

Yup.

Rise - A-/B+

Dawn - B/B-

War - B-/C+

Given this is the third and final installment of this trilogy, expecting some frontloading here. Nothing substantial like CBM and YA stuff though. Something like just under $7M in previews.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Unbelievable. A major summer blockbuster about talking apes that draws more from Schindler's List than the Avengers. It's a miracle a movie like this can still exist. It bumbles the third act a bit. I can five or six movies since July 2015 (two whole years) that don't bumble their third acts. It's becoming a major problem. But this third act at least has unique problems instead of the same old shit plaguing other blockbusters. And otherwise.....wow. Gorgeous, bleak, and breathtaking moviemaking here. Can't wait to watch it again. 

Go save Hollywood then.

They need your superior intelect and creativity.

Save those 3rd acts for us.

:)

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Now that I've seen it, expecting a multiplier in the 2.5 to 2.75 range for about $185M to $205M DOM depending on the OW DOM.

So you are expecting a lower multiplier than Dawn (2.88), i see you have seen the movie so...any reason on that prediction without spoilers? Its less crowd pleaser than Dawn?

Seeing it in 6 hours. Really hyped

53 minutes ago, picores said:

So you are expecting a lower multiplier than Dawn (2.88), i see you have seen the movie so...any reason on that prediction without spoilers? Its less crowd pleaser than Dawn?

Seeing it in 6 hours. Really hyped

If you didn't love Dawn, you won't love War. It's even more bleak, more deliberately paced and more solemn. If you loved Dawn, you'll like love/like War a whole lot. I just don't see this expanding the audience from Dawn. And, it has direct competition in sci-fi, action and/or sci-fi action the next three weekends with Valerian/Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde and then Dark Tower. Not to mention, Homecoming just opened last weekend.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

There are certain kinds of critically-acclaimed blockbusters that don't resonate as well with the GA. I think this is one of those movies.

It certainly doesn't help that, beyond Valerian, a movie like Dunkirk by a filmmaker who's tone obviously had an enormous influence on Dawn and War is releasing next Friday. War is essentially a

Spoiler

a mashup Vietnam/WWII movie themes, characterizations and send ups.

I think there's an enormous overlap in the audiences that will see War and Dunkirk.

I mean obviously Schindler's List is a stretch, that was a real bad thing that happened to us and this is about CGI gorillas. That said, it has brutal violence, talk of mass exterminations, and torture in labor camps (all this is in trailers so no spoilers). I'm pretty sure that isn't going to be in Infinity War. 

In terms of tone, style, and feel, this actually felt most like Children of Men to me. Very similar vibe. And that movie fucking rocks, so.

• Like 3