Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

man this really got me.  seriously maybe the most moving film of the year for me.  tries to unpackage a lot of big themes in a short amount of time.

one of the gold standards in terms of a trilogy, up there with the nolan's batman.

• Like 6

Ive always found Orang-utans the most fascinating of the great apes and I liked how Maurice's wise and compassionate personality was shown whenever he was on-screen.

Plus baby orang-utans!!!! (I think thats the first time the series has had them??)

And I found it a great touch how Maurice 

is the first and last ape Caesar talks to in his life.

• Like 2

Feeling more positive about this movie. I think 60-65 is more likely than 55-60. 65-70 will be cherry on top.

I think it will need low-60s at least to go over Rise's dom and will need low-70s ow for a shot at 200.

Mojo thinks 70 will happen. Pro.BO has it at 54. I will take the middle of those two :).

3 minutes ago, Bernie86 said:

TOMATOMETER

An 8.2 is fantastic. But an 83 on MC with 47 reviews is arguably even more impressive.

Altogether? It's outstanding.

Shh... don't tell JohnnyGossamer, though ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

With late shows counted in, final number for Thursday total at my theatre is our equivalent of $6.4M

11 minutes ago, superduperm said:

What would be a good preview number for this? Seems very up in the air.

6.4 would be a good preview number.

DAWN did 4.1 previews and 72.6 weekend. Now we know that if WAR also did 4.1, it would not be a good sign as front-loading has increased over time. Even APOC edged out DOFP in previews (8.2 v 8.1) but opened much smaller due to front-loading.

If WAR matches DAWN's 4.1 previews, it would open closer to 60 IMO. But if 6.4 happens then it puts WAR on track to match/beat DAWN's ow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

6.4 would be a good preview number.

DAWN did 4.1 previews and 72.6 weekend. Now we know that if WAR also did 4.1, it would not be a good sign as front-loading has increased over time. Even APOC edged out DOFP in previews (8.2 v 8.1) but opened much smaller due to front-loading.

If WAR matches DAWN's 4.1 previews, it would open closer to 60 IMO. But if 6.4 happens then it puts WAR on track to match/beat DAWN's ow.

I've been looking for Dawn's preview number... Dang 4.1 sounds low. Hoping War can beat that by a decent margin. ~$6.4M would be a good sign for a possible $30M OD.

• Like 1

Unbelievable. A major summer blockbuster about talking apes that draws more from Schindler's List than the Avengers. It's a miracle a movie like this can still exist. It bumbles the third act a bit. I can five or six movies since July 2015 (two whole years) that don't bumble their third acts. It's becoming a major problem. But this third act at least has unique problems instead of the same old shit plaguing other blockbusters. And otherwise.....wow. Gorgeous, bleak, and breathtaking moviemaking here. Can't wait to watch it again. 

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, superduperm said:

An 8.2 is fantastic. But an 83 on MC with 47 reviews is arguably even more impressive.

Altogether? It's outstanding.

Shh... don't tell JohnnyGossamer, though ;)

Yes, that is a rarity among commercial blockbusters, and higher than The Dark Knight.

I didn't pay much attention to box office at the time, what were predictions like for Rise and Dawn? I imagine they both overperformed, and I think I expect this to do the same. Tons of people love and respect this series, but it doesn't have a superhero-like rabid fanbase that buys tons of advanced tickets and stuff like that, so I think it's easy to underestimate it.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

FUCK, I'M SO FUCKING MAD MY SCREENING FROZE AND THE MOVIE STOPPED PLAYING.  FUCK I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS TOMORROW.

That's a bummer. Can imagine the restlessness when something like this happens.