Films

Wednesday Actuals: WOLF (1.64), HUSTLE (1.3), FROZEN (1.2)

Barring a major snub from the Academy next week, seems to be.

Is 100-110m a tad underwhelming though? may not seem that way after it opened to #5 and is showing legs, but the studio did spend 100m on it. Am sure they were expecting more domestically on a 100m leo-scorsese movie. This is similar to Aviator - 110m budget, <105m domestic bo, slow opening but good/great legs.

Edited by a2knet

Studios like to make movies with prestigious directors (and actors). It gets them buzz on the award circuit, it means they can cultivate a lasting relationship that'll bring them glory, Oscars, and a place in history, and if they have to lose some money theatrically, it's worth it. So Paramount has to be fairly pleased with WOWS overall (just as I'm sure they were pleased with AVIATOR).

• Like 3

Is 100-110m a tad underwhelming though? may not seem that way after it opened to #5 and is showing legs, but the studio did spend 100m on it. Am sure they were expecting more domestically on a 100m leo-scorsese movie. This is similar to Aviator - 110m budget, <105m domestic bo, slow opening but good/great legs.

The budget's higher than it should have been for a film that R-rated, but on the other hand a film that R-rated getting the money Wolf will invariably make is impressive.

I'm curious to see how it'll fare OS though.

The budget's higher than it should have been for a film that R-rated, but on the other hand a film that R-rated getting the money Wolf will invariably make is impressive.

I'm curious to see how it'll fare OS though.

I think if you consider the talent involved and the various locations and overall shooting schedule, 100m seems fairly decent.

*rolls on the floor laughing*

There has been no established front-runner and DiCaprio is a well-liked and respected guy in the industry. He has the "over-due" factor (I hate that mentality myself) and this is widely considered one of his best performances. Not that laughable.

I think if you consider the talent involved and the various locations and overall shooting schedule, 100m seems fairly decent.

For a 3 hour Scorcese movie that probably has God knows how many different scenes (still haven't seen it) you're probably right.

Edited by Hatebox

I might actually nominate McC in two categories at this years BOF Awards. He's in Wolf for about five minutes but boy, those five minutes are among the very best stuff from 2013.

*rolls on the floor laughing*

He's great in WOWS. But its a cameo. He gets in for Dallas Buyers Club. That's it.

I might actually nominate McC in two categories at this years BOF Awards. He's in Wolf for about five minutes but boy, those five minutes are among the very best stuff from 2013.

His credibility turnaround remains kind of astonishing to me. I still don't quite know how he pulled it off, but I'm glad he did.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2