Films

Wednesday Actuals: WOLF (1.64), HUSTLE (1.3), FROZEN (1.2)

OS will be good for Wolf. It is breaking out in Portugal. Also, 12YaS did 430k here last weekend. That is comparable to 43M in America. The movie so far only did 38.5M. Funny.

There has been no established front-runner and DiCaprio is a well-liked and respected guy in the industry. He has the "over-due" factor (I hate that mentality myself) and this is widely considered one of his best performances. Not that laughable.

Nothing is locked but Chiwetel Eijiofor pretty much has it in the bag. He's been winning everything so far.

• Founder / Operator

His credibility turnaround remains kind of astonishing to me. I still don't quite know how he pulled it off, but I'm glad he did.

I don't feel like it's that much of a shock, to be honest. He's always been one of the most well-liked actors in the industry. Audiences like him (women love him)... it just took a few serious roles in recent years to garner that hard-won appreciation from... well, I'm trying to find a description nicer than "film snobs". :lol:

Nothing is locked but Chiwetel Eijiofor pretty much has it in the bag. He's been winning everything so far.

Yeah, but small-fry critics awards. Sometimes those and the big awards don't really see eye-to-eye. It's still open.

• Like 3

I don't feel like it's that much of a shock, to be honest. He's always been one of the most well-liked actors in the industry. Audiences like him (women love him)... it just took a few serious roles in recent years to garner that hard-won appreciation from... well, I'm trying to find a description nicer than "film snobs". :lol:

I always found him an affable presence, but man... the noughties was just bad movie after bad movie for him. I guess when he hit 40 he thought 'ok, I'm really going have start doing some better stuff now.'

• Like 1

Those movies were easy paychecks for Matthew McConaughey. Now that he is probably full of cash, he can do serious stuff and not worry about money.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

• Founder / Operator

What turned the tide for DiCaprio? Having Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York in the same Christmas.

Had a great start to his career before Titanic, too, with Gilbert Grape, Romeo+Juliet, and Basketball Diaries.

Had a great start to his career before Titanic, too, with Gilbert Grape, Romeo+Juliet, and Basketball Diaries.

Oh yeah. But post Titanic, everyone got tired of him and thought of him as a lucky li'l bastard. His not going to the Oscars to support Titanic that year (because he was snubbed) and The Beach hurt him. But he rolled up his sleeves and reminded people of his acting talent and good taste in projects.

He's taken a seriousness to his career in the same way of Tom Cruise after Top Gun. Work for the best filmmakers in the industry and open yourself up to them and their direction. Take risks. Try something new and daring than what you expect.

• Like 2

His credibility turnaround remains kind of astonishing to me. I still don't quite know how he pulled it off, but I'm glad he did.

His choice of roles? He's always had the talent. The movie that put him on the map was a serious drama.

Watching Star Trek and y'know, they use the exact same cue for every villain ever. So when they wanna make it a shock for the audience maybe don't play that.

The movie? The original series?

The original series had limited cues and re-used them all the time. (Pretty typical for shows back then.)