grim22

Weekend Estimates: LS - 38.5M | FZ - 15.1M | WoWS - 9M | Hercules - 8.6M | AH - 8.6M | Her - 5.4M

Nikki Finke‏@NikkiFinke34s

Friday Box Office: #4 'Wolf Of Wall St' (Par) $2.7M today/$9M wkd/Cume $78.6M, #5 'American Hustle' (Sony) $2.6M/$8.5M/$101.5M.

Why would she give a 3.33 multiplier to Wolf and 3.26 to AH,

how does she come up with those?

Why would she give a 3.33 multiplier to Wolf and 3.26 to AH,

how does she come up with those?

9 million and 8.5 million are round #s ... and the only ones she cares about. How you get to the # is irrelevant ... she just pulled those extrapolations out her ass.

Edited by Adam

Woah.

Pamela McClintock @PamelaDayM 26m

'Lone Survivor' earns a coveted A+ CinemaScore. First hit of 2014?

Universal could start off 2014 as well as they did 2013. in terms of the whole year they have the advantage over 2013 of not having any potential mega-budget disasters like R.I.P.D. and 47 Ronin to put a damper on whatever success they have this year.

Universal could start off 2014 as well as they did 2013. in terms of the whole year they have the advantage over 2013 of not having any potential mega-budget disasters like R.I.P.D. and 47 Ronin to put a damper on whatever success they have this year.

But also no guaranteed huge successes like Fast and Furious 7 and Despicable Me 2

• Like 1

But also no guaranteed huge successes like Fast and Furious 7 and Despicable Me 2

Of course, but even a precipitous drop in yearly gross compared to last year could still be a very profitable 2014 for them since none of their titles are bid budget films that need to gross huge amounts of money to be profitable.

Nikki Finke‏@NikkiFinke7m

Friday Box Office: #1 'Lone Survivor' (Uni) way overperforms for $13.5M-$14M today and $36M-$38M wkd in 2,875 runs. Cost $40M.

Woah.  Much higher start than I thought it would do. 

[*]

[*]

[*]

[*]

Friday Box Office Matinee Trends: 'August Osage County' (TWC) Fri $3.M/Wkd $10M, 'Hercules' (LGF/Summit)$3M/$9M, 'Her' (WB) $2M/$6M.

[*]

Friday Box Office: #2 'Frozen' (Disney) enters 8th week in release with $2.9M today and $14M-$14.5M wkd from 3,239 runs. Cume $317M.

Solid jump for Frozen.  If the number holds it's about a 166% jump or 11% better than Tangled.  Same improvement would translate to 132% Sat and -32% Sun. for about a 14.2 weekend.  

Apparently, Universal greenlit this movie only because they wanted Peter Berg to make Battleship. There is an article on Forbes about this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/01/10/how-lone-survivor-became-peter-bergs-hope-floats/

In all likelihood, Peter Berg’s Lone Survivor should top the box office this weekend with a strong over/under $30 million wide-release debut (it earned $1.5m on Thursday). If such events occur, it will be something of a “comeback” for director Peter Berg after the $210m Battleship grossed just $303m worldwide in 2012. Since Lone Survivor is a much cheaper film ($48m) and is getting much better reviews, this would be an unqualified win for all involved, including star Mark Wahlberg. The irony of course is that Peter Berg only agreed to make Battleship to get Universal to distribute Lone Survivor.

In terms of cost-to-gross ratios, Lone Survivor will almost certainly be more successful than Battleship just as Hope Floats was more successful for Fox than Speed 2. And, my critical issues with the film aside, Lone Survivor is precisely the kind of film that studios should be all-too-willing to produce; mid-budget, R-rated, star-driven genre entries for adults that don’t have to set records to make money.That Universal was seemingly unwilling to fund the picture says something displeasing about the industry as a whole. That Universal was convinced to distribute it only after the director helmed their $200m+ board game adaptation says something else altogether. Either way, congratulations to Peter Berg for pulling “a Hope Floats” and restoring his critical and box office luster.

• Like 3