CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

13 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

YAAAS at these reactions and reviews!! THR, Screen and Variety all are +ve.

When I saw the first 20 min at Venice, I was sure this will be a hit. With heart.

Very excited to see the full film!

THR isn't what I'd call very positive, it's positive but points out Sing has a problem other Illumination films do - that pesky thing - story

That said, and sorry to be a buzzkill, but it’s a bit of a shame that the rest of the film doesn’t achieve that same high standard. Illumination’s latest plays to the company’s strengths, with inventive character and background design, hyper-rendered animation that pushes the technology envelope, especially in the realm of lighting and cute sight gags. But just as with, for example, The Secret Life of Pets or Minions (and let’s not even go there with Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax), storytelling remains the outfit’s weak spot.  

• Like 5

On 12/09/2016 at 10:40 AM, tribefan695 said:

This'll be a hit, obviously, but we can't be sure just how big and how big Moana will be by comparison.

Trolls, Moana, and Sing would seem to make for an interesting threesome. Have so many music-themed animated films been released so close together before?

The only instance that comes to mind is when Disney trolled Don Bluth and re-released The Little Mermaid when Anastasia released, way back in 1997. 

I have a strong feeling Disney will pull the "Sing Along version" card from its sleeve for Moana a little after Sing releases. Sooner than they did it for Frozen.

15 hours ago, yjs said:

same average rating with SLoP but higher RT score. when there are more reviews coming in think it would also stabilize in the mid to high 70 or early 80 range based on the 6.2 a/r.

So right now there are actually only 4 ratings with an average score provided. Assuming a random sample and normal distribution (good assumptions for the films I've examined in the past), that means there's a 95% chance the final rating of Sing will fall between 4.6 and 7.9. There is about a 15% chance of the final rating either exceeding 7.1 or falling below 5.4.

Most probable final RT is much harder to analyze. Usually films with an average rating just above 6 land in the mid-60s, but animated films tend to land higher because a well above average number of ratings equivalent to 6/10 or less are given "fresh" anyway.

Edited by Jason
typo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

So right now there are actually only 4 ratings with an average score provided. Assuming a random sample and normal distribution (good assumptions for the films I've examined in the past), that means there's a 95% chance the final rating of Sing will fall between 4.6 and 7.9. There is about a 15% chance of the final rating either exceeding 7.1 or falling below 5.4.

Most probable final RT is much harder to analyze. Usually films with an average rating just above 6 land in the mid-60s, but animated films tend to land higher because an well above average number of ratings equivalent to 6/10 or less are given "fresh" anyway.

this blew my Asian mind away. ;) haha

• Like 1

On September 12, 2016 at 0:32 PM, TalismanRing said:

THR isn't what I'd call very positive, it's positive but points out Sing has a problem other Illumination films do - that pesky thing - story

Such a problem would potentially be devastating for the likes of WDAS or Pixar, and most likely the movie's gross would be ordinary, if it doesn't flop.  But Illumination?  Like water off a duck's back--it doesn't matter a whole lot, if at all. Maybe in the "long-long" run it might, but it has been pretty long so far, and it still hasn't mattered--it's not why people have flocked to their movies since their brand became established.

On September 13, 2016 at 8:53 AM, RedX said:

Is this being marketed well? I haven't seen much 

Yeah, I've seen surprisingly little so far, and personally think that the ads offer nothing, but for people in general I believe that they have been very effective.  All they have to do is show various animals singing familiar songs, and the box office will get flooded.

On September 13, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I have a strong feeling Disney will pull the "Sing Along version" card from its sleeve for Moana a little after Sing releases. Sooner than they did it for Frozen.

I can see that happening, although I suppose it will depend on whether the songs catch on enough with the public.

• Like 3