Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

Unless it's just too generic for even the Academy or gets totally panned, I think Unbroken has it this year. It's reminding me so much of a King's Speech type of movie that the Academy will go head over heels for. Birdman and Boyhood are just not the kind of movie that wins BP with the Academy. Boyhood is so Linklater it hurts, and the Academy has never even seemed to like his work that much. Besides they really only give BP to something that indie if it has some political message that they wanna promote (12YAS, The Hurt Locker). Imitation Game I guess could, but it couldn't feel any less buzzed about right now so I don't see it either. Selma is still a bit of a wildcard, so who knows maybe that will come in and blow everything else out of contention. But my money is definitely still on Unbroken.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Unless it's just too generic for even the Academy or gets totally panned, I think Unbroken has it this year. It's reminding me so much of a King's Speech type of movie that the Academy will go head over heels for. Birdman and Boyhood are just not the kind of movie that wins BP with the Academy. Boyhood is so Linklater it hurts, and the Academy has never even seemed to like his work that much. Besides they really only give BP to something that indie if it has some political message that they wanna promote (12YAS, The Hurt Locker). Imitation Game I guess could, but it couldn't feel any less buzzed about right now so I don't see it either. Selma is still a bit of a wildcard, so who knows maybe that will come in and blow everything else out of contention. But my money is definitely still on Unbroken.

I'm feeling the same way as well. This was my horse at the start of the year and I'm still feeling pretty good about it. However, I think TIG is a serious contender because of Harvey and because the actors will probably be more behind TIG than Unbroken due to the talent involved. 

Selma could, but I think that there's only room for one female directed film this year (cus Academy) and that's gonna be Unbroken. 

• Like 1

Wells last night tweeted that Ferguson non-indictment = Selma boost. Crass, and he caught shit for it, but does he have a point? I'm worried that even if Unbroken is good, Ava bumps Jolie- because, Academy.

As sad as this sounds, they're gonna forget about Ferguson come voting time which isn't for like another month and honestly, I don't think the Academy cares enough about it???? I dunno, maybe my view of the academy's super cynical or something, but I have a hard time seeing a 60+ mostly white body caring enough? Especially when they have more friendly and traditional fodder and they just awarded an OMG Important African-American film. I know that slavery and civil rights aren't the same thing, but I think 12YAS winning last year could harm Selma's chances. 

And also it's Angelina fucking Jolie directing a Coen script with a film shot by Deakins about someone who legit just died, like I don't think anything Selma does can trump that. 

But with that being said Unbroken is Universal and Selma is Paramount, neither of which are a particularly good Oscar campaigning studio, so anything could happen. Also it's worth noting that Pitt produced Selma under Plan B Entertainment, so if Angie really really really wanted it, I'm sure that she could get the Selma campaign to back down....... Just a thought. 

I'm probs reading too much into this :lol:

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 5

Selma would probably have a good shot at winning if 12YAS did not win last year. But, seeing as how 12YAS did win last year, I see that really working against Selma.

Actually it would make, thematically at least, an interesting back-to-back punch. 12 Years shows where we've been, Selma shows where we've traveled, and next year a film to be named rounds out the trilogy by showing where we are or are going.

• Like 1

Actually it would make, thematically at least, an interesting back-to-back punch. 12 Years shows where we've been, Selma shows where we've traveled, and next year a film to be named rounds out the trilogy by showing where we are or are going.

Furious 7. "all roads lead to this" wasn't just a snappy tagline.

• Like 5

I should've pushed my Coen trilogy like that :lol: where we've been, where we've travelled and where we are now/going. Maybe all three would've won then :P

• Like 1

It kind of was, actually.

Yeah, but I didn't capitalise on that narrative, so I only won one :( And came so close to winning a second :( They all did really well tho so I'm not gonna complain. Especially the first one, I think it won like the most despite not getting nommed for BP or BD (which is still ridiculous imo, but not as much as Garret Fucking Hedlund not getting nominated for Best Actor. I mean like that's just absurd, how did he not get fucking nominated for a film that won like 6 above the line oscars?) 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

Have some kind of parallel universe Oscars just invaded or something?

CAYOM. Create a Year of Movies. I created a trilogy of Coen Brother Films on Greed in Years 5,6,7 which basically swept a lot of above the line categories like Best Picture once, and twice in both supporting categories and twice in lead actor and twice in directing, three times in ensemble and screenplay and quite a few techs. It was a good time..... 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 2

Maybe studios will make The Black Biopic Cinematic Universe.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1