Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

I think 8 right now. Birdman, Boyhood, Grand Budapest, Gone Girl, Imitation Game, Selma, The Theory of Everything, Whiplash. Maybe 9 if Unbroken really does play better to the academy than critics.

Yep, I really am confident in those 8 films being the ones. And if there is a 9th one this year, I think it will be a "shocker." I'd say Wild or A Most Violent Year. I don't see 10 happening at all, but who knows I guess.

My thoughts today.

Can Whiplash be finally snubbed? There are two heavier independent choices that will get a lot of #1 votes.

I'm reconsidering Gone Girl chances. It may be the BO king of this year nominees.

Either Into the woods or Unbroken will be nommed. They usually support these kind of ambitious Holiday hits.

We won't have less than 9 films nommed.

It's all headed for a surprise inclusion in the BP race. I'm thinking on A most violent year, American Sniper, Wild, Nightcrawler or Ida.

• Like 1

Birdman

Boyhood

Gone Girl

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Imitation Game

Selma

The Theory of Everything

Unbroken

Whiplash

With American Sniper replacing either Unbroken or Whiplash if it gets in. Everything else feels like a non-factor in the race.

I really see it replacing Unbroken if it gets in. Into the Woods could slip in to possibly. I think either of those are more likely than Unbroken.

I see Into the Woods getting in over Unbroken.

Better reviews, more Oscar nominations (Actress possibly, Supporting Actress, Costumes, Production Design, Sound categories, outside shot at BD) and likely to have a higher BO total. ITW is already outpacing Unbroken by $1 million a day. 

1. Selma
  2. Boyhood
  3. The Imitation Game
  4. Birdman 
  5. Gone Girl
  6. Into the Woods
  7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  8. The Theory of Everything 
  9. American Sniper (if it breaks out at the BO and if reviews stay fresh)

Alts. Whiplash, Unbroken, Wild, Foxcatcher, Interstellar (very outside chance) 

Edited by mahnamahna

Into the Woods is not happening. Box office is strong, yes, but I don't see the film getting the passion (aka the #1's) necessary to enter the Best Picture line-up (especially not with a distributor that's historically incompetent at awards stuff). Missing SAG Ensemble despite having a perfect balanced cast of big stars and established names was a pretty big blow, and missing the final listing of the Hair/Make-Up bake-off despite the showy work in the film was another sign that support for the film likely isn't strong enough (although probably not weak enough to prevent another default Meryl nom).

• Like 1

Into the Woods is not happening. Box office is strong, yes, but I don't see the film getting the passion (aka the #1's) necessary to enter the Best Picture line-up (especially not with a distributor that's historically incompetent at awards stuff). Missing SAG Ensemble despite having a perfect balanced cast of big stars and established names was a pretty big blow, and missing the final listing of the Hair/Make-Up bake-off despite the showy work in the film was another sign that support for the film likely isn't strong enough (although probably not weak enough to prevent another default Meryl nom).

In ITW's defence, the screeners didn't en masse arrive for AMPAS members until 12 December. 

• Like 2

Which goes back to Disney being an ass campaigner.

Of course, but it means that the SAG snub wasn't as big of a defeat for it as we thought. It's likely that people voted for Meryl because she's Meryl regardless of whether or not they've seen it and while it sounds kinda ridiculous, things like that do happen. So, there's still hope on the back of great reviews and great BO for ITW to get BP. 

• Like 1

Top RT score is Toy Story 2, doesn't make it the best movie of all time.

No, Boyhoods higher. I'm not saying it's the best movie of all time, but there is an overall consensus that it's better than the hurt locker.

A 100 on Metacritic is something that I legitimately thought would be impossible for a movie with over 200 reviews but it has it. It's safe to say the majority of the people who are going to be voting that have seen it think it's pretty great.

Edited by The Panda