grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Visuals are good though I can't comment much beyond on that so far. Much better then the awkwardly done knock-off water fight. Still not huge on them making the geishas look robotic when they're meant to be attractive sex-androids more or less.

Don't think they are sex androids in this scene.  Just servers and dancers.  

34 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Well, I watched it and I have to say that, as someone who hasn't watched the original anime, I'm pretty damn impressed by what I've just seen. Great visuals and it seems to me like it should be worth a ticket to watch it on a big screen. I'll be there.

@antovolk Is Beat Takeshi a character? You mean they cut him out from the clip or the movie itself?

Takeshi Kitano, I mean. Yeah, he's the head of Section 9. They cut him out of the clip, he's in this sequence in the clip giving orders to Major.

1 minute ago, Klingo said:

Yeah not sure why they cut him out in this scene.  Unless it shows something in the actual movie.

He is in the actual movie, the clip is cut down from what's actually shown in the film.

• Like 2

This person saw it at the Paris premiere, no spoilers:

Not the total disaster I expected, because the first hour is actually interesting, but overall, super meh. ScarJo isn't as good as I expected.

Paris premiere. ScarJo was there, she's really gorgeous (I saw her from pretty close).

I'm terrible at this. It's probably gonna end up being the opposite of what i say lol. But i have to admit I'm surprised they're so reluctant to show it to critics, maybe they don't want any bad buzz, but I can see this have some defenders, and be more mixed than disaster. Still, I don't expect good reviews, maybe something like 55 RT/50MC ? Don't take my word for it tho lol.gif

It's got more ideas and themes than SWATH, Sanders is just not a strong enough director to explore them fully. Also, I didn't find this as dull as SWATH overall.

Review:I knew almost nothing of the material, so it was interesting to discover this world, but other than that, it's pretty mediocre. Not a disaster, I can't say I was totally bored, but it does feel like there is potential and it's just wasted.

On the positives, the special effects and the score are really great. The first hour has some interesting ideas and themes, that feels like there are set up well and will lead to something worthwile, but then, it kinda goes to shit.

The problem is really that Sanders and the writers tried to make something deep, something more than just a blockbuster but all the themes, about humanity and especially about technology aren't fully explored and it's very shallow, resulting in a movie that is sometimes quite dull. It also abandons these ideas in the second half, it becomes about Major and her searching for her past, but they don't spend enough time on it and her whole psychology is also superficial. The ending (and everything involving Michael Pitt) feels so stupid, and like Sanders decided "hey, maybe I should make a blockbuster". I reallt find Major and Kuze's "relationship" to be problematic, or at least, the way it's handled. 

ScarJo is fine in the role, but she really doesn't pop off the screen like in so many other films, she doesn't own that role, and her walk was just plain awkward. However, her relationship with Batou, who's MVP for me, is a great aspect. I like Binoche too. The rest of the cast doesn't register, tbh. I hated the production design, which looked fake and unoriginal, and the action sequences are mostly bad and unengaging, due to an overdose of slow-mo.

I didn't have much hope for this film, so I was surprised that it wasn't a disaster, but it's mostly potential, nothing actually done is great. Also, the whitewashing seems even worse when you get the character's backstory.

http://awardswatch.com/forums/showthread.php?34792-Rupert-Sanders-directing-live-action-GHOST-IN-THE-SHELL-movie/page19

http://awardswatch.com/forums/showthread.php?42962-Ghost-in-the-Shell-(Sanders-2017)

This poster is an old regular so 100% reliable.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Visuals are good though I can't comment much beyond on that so far. Much better then the awkwardly done knock-off water fight. Still not huge on them making the geishas look robotic when they're meant to be attractive sex-androids more or less.

Yeah, the ones in the anime looked deceptively human, which kinda highteins the sexual fantasizations. I'm not sure if it was feasible to imitate that with how practical their approach was. Maybe they could gone more CGI? 

27 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I don't think Scarlet can really carry films in terms of acting. Sure she can put buts its seats but has she starred in anything good.

Yes: Under The Skin. But I have a feeling it wouldn't be everyone on this board's cup of tea.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I don't think Scarlet can really carry films in terms of acting. Sure she can put buts its seats but has she starred in anything good.

Yes, she has starred in plenty of great stuff. It's not her fault you only remember/have seen the action flicks.

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yes: Under The Skin. But I have a feeling it wouldn't be everyone on this board's cup of tea.

I really liked that movie and I tend to hate that kind of movie(indie horror).

Edited by Arlborn

39 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I feel like her stuff before she became Black Widow was really good. She does some indie stuff thats also good. Her action movies though don't do much for her so if thats all you've seen her in, I can see why someone would say she's not good at acting. I don't think she's as great as some people claim she is, but I have enjoyed some of her smaller scale films. 

48 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

35 minutes ago, Nova said:

I feel like her stuff before she became Black Widow was really good. She does some indie stuff thats also good. Her action movies though don't do much for her so if thats all you've seen her in, I can see why someone would say she's not good at acting. I don't think she's as great as some people claim she is, but I have enjoyed some of her smaller scale films. 

Could it be that she isn't "badass" and she can't move like a capable human. Action was the worst thing what happened to Scarjo.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Could it be that she isn't "badass" and she can't move like a capable human. Action was the worst thing what happened to Scarjo.

On the contrary, it saved her career. She can do expensive schlock while also doing stuff that interests her. Before Black Widow her career was riddled with flops and she'd certainly be a B-lister by now without it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think that's all a matter of opinion but the results aka the box office numbers prove otherwise. She's marketable as an action star. That's what her thing is now and there's nothing wrong with that.