grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Fresh reviews for GITS! YEAH! We've had some really solid/praised movies this year. Split, Get Out, Lego, Logan, JW2... Even possible turds like Kong or GITS have received nice reviews. And BATB had also good reviews.

Even PR has almost a 50% RT, which is incredible for this kind of film

So far it's making up for last summer. Hopefully this trend will continue but I can't see Fate Of The Furious getting good reviews this time around...but after I hope to see much better reviews for all the big blockbuster movies in the coming months.

Like you said, even Power Rangers wasn't outright trashed which honestly surprised me and fans seemed to like it.

POTC is already a good sign of the Summer if those first reactions are anything to go by.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that some fresh reviews are actually fresh. They read like negative reviews but the critic gave it a final pass for whatever reason (visuals, they seem to be the true star of the movie, no surprise). It isn't a stinker by any means, just mediocre it seems, nothing new.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The critic actually ends up deciding whether they want it to be rotten. So a critic can give it a 3/5 for one movie and think the movie is good enough whereas another movie they give it 3/5 and think it's lacking in important areas so they deem it rotten. 

Oh I know. That's why I said RT was being RT. I wouldn't be surprised if the critic changes their review to fresh if the tides start to turn like Indiewire did with Beauty And The Beast (originally fresh, changed to rotten).

I'm not disappointed. I knew it was never going to be anything mind blowing but look on the bright side, it's getting a lot more praise then most video game movies so far! lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I meant more about what people talk about. They talk about BatB, they talked about Logan. Doubtful GitS will be a hot topic since it already isn't. Both Logan and BatB had pre-release chatter.

Eh, yeah in that aspect, especially with womean you're probably right. GITS isn't a huge property like Dragon Ball but you never know. GITS has had a mixed reception ever since the first trailer with hardcore anime fans trashing it for deviating too much from the source...but like super positive hype, yeah not really.

I expected worse with how late the reviews came so this is still a plus.

Welcome back to another episode of Americans Approaching Anime. The last time we left off the Hollywood studios, we saw Spike Lee attempt his own American version of Oldboy based off the manga of the same name in 2013. Lee was ambitious for he tried, but the film was both a critical and financial failure and never hit the amazingness of the manga let alone its South Korean film adaptation. It was neither a step up or a step down for Americans appropriating manga adaptations. Now we have Rupert Sander’s adaptation of Ghost in the Shell a film based off the anime that was based off the manga of the same name. Will this adaptation bring Hollywood up or get so low Dragonball: Evolution will have to be forgiven?

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//ghost-in-the-shell-review

9 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

So what's everyone's expectations for GITS this weekend?

I personally hope it'll get above Lucy's OW. I'll be thrilled with that.

You should be happy with anything above 35M OW at this point... I believe tracking was at 32-33M.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

So is

Hide contents

she played by a Japanese actress in the beginning?

Spoiler

Yes. At the beginning on a hospital gurney and her face is covered by a mask. We see her briefly in memory flashbacks as Major has brief memories of her old life. 

Edited by DeeCee

25 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

So what's everyone's expectations for GITS this weekend?

I personally hope it'll get above Lucy's OW. I'll be thrilled with that.

imo it will do about 25M. Not gonna do well although overseas may save it, as always... not sure if it's getting a China release though.

In principle a Scarlett Johansson action film should do well, I think she has some real draw power as an action hero. But, the advertising has done such a poor job of making clear what the film is about, I suspect it will put a lot of the general audience off going.

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:
  Hide contents

Yes. At the beginning on a hospital gurney and her face is covered by a mask. We see her briefly in memory flashbacks as Major has brief memories of her old life. 

Thanks! :)

Lucy opening of 44M (rounded) would be a great overperformance for GitS considering the tracking. Since all openers lately blew past tracking numbers, it has a chance if there's buzz to support that. Logan had previews buzz and reviews to back it up. BatB was one of the most anticipated movies since it was announced. Kong got surprisingly strong reviews. GO had great previews and must-see reviews. So we'll see whether GitS buzz goes up today, tomorrow, etc. 

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Wrap has it pegged for $25M.

I have it between $22-25M. 

Interesting to see that in the beginning of March most tracking sites had it opening closer to $40M and have now lowered it to low $30s even some in the 20s. 

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I have it between $22-25M. 

Interesting to see that in the beginning of March most tracking sites had it opening closer to $40M and have now lowered it to low $30s even some in the 20s. 

With so many movies overperforming, something is bound to take a hit. It may not be GitS (maybe they are lowballing deliberately?) but something will.

First 9 MINUTES of a film?  Is that a new record for free pre-release?  The movie's only an hour, 40+, right?  They must be desperate for good will...but the reviews have been surprisingly positive.  I don't think they needed to do this. 

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

First 9 MINUTES of a film?  Is that a new record for free pre-release?  The movie's only an hour, 40+, right?  They must be desperate for good will...but the reviews have been surprisingly positive.  I don't think they needed to do this. 

Previews do more than reviews since most people don't read them and don't care. They watch something if they like the look of it. This is not a bad strategy. Naked Scarlett + sci fi is gonna put more butts in the seats than any of those limp 3/5 pass reviews.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Previews do more than reviews since most people don't read them and don't care. They watch something if they like the look of it. This is not a bad strategy. Naked Scarlett + sci fi is gonna put more butts in the seats than any of those limp 3/5 pass reviews.

It's funny because Paramount released an abridged 5min version of that exact same sequence a week or so back, in any case it's good that there's an unedited version of it out because how studios change up supposed "clips" from the film annoys me.

Also, I'm sure the US critics will lambast this primarily over the whitewashing - the trades are the only ones who've reviewed it so far.

Edited by antovolk

9 minutes ago, antovolk said:

It's funny because Paramount released an abridged 5min version of that exact same sequence a week or so back, in any case it's good that there's an unedited version of it out because how studios change up supposed "clips" from the film annoys me.

Also, I'm sure the US critics will lambast this primarily over the whitewashing - the trades are the only ones who've reviewed it so far.

Maybe, maybe not. Critics are not as predictable as made out to be. They didn't support "Gay" BatB in a measure that Disney may hoped for (not that it matters), and they may just ignore the whitewashing and drool over visuals (which is what everyone is doing)

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Maybe, maybe not. Critics are not as predictable as made out to be. They didn't support "Gay" BatB in a measure that Disney may hoped for (not that it matters), and they may just ignore the whitewashing and drool over visuals (which is what everyone is doing)

bear in mind most of the reviews online atm are from UK critics.

I still remember how much OS and UK critics loved SPECTRE but then the US absolutely trashed the fuck out of that film.

Edited by antovolk