grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

I always like how shocked some people are when they find out that Anime is niche in Japan. Another thing that throws some fans off guard is the cost of actually buying anime over there. I used to know a kid that was such a fanboy he took up Japanese lessons just to import games and anime dvds early (it's good skill to have anyway, but that was pretty much the biggest reason). He finally took a trip to Japan and came back with nothing. He finally found out the high prices for imports online isn't due to import fees, and that one season of a show cost about £250. He coulda got the same bloody thing over here for £20 if he just waited a couple of months. Turns out the UK is the cheapest place to buy Anime on earth.

My goodness, that's so expensive as heck!!

Even a season of The Walking Dead costs only $15 in Amazon.

There's no sugarcoating the numbers.  This movie is a bomb.  Not only that, they got a big star in the lead, and it still bombed.  So you cast a popular white actress and it still didn't bring the numbers or the masses.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

I read somewhere that most niche anime survive on overpriced DVDs and merchandise.

Yep. Anime also act like long commercials for light novels and manga. Thats why so many shows end with cliffhangers. If a show succeeds in raising the sales of it's original book to an acceptable level it's done it's job and doesn't need to come back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Yep. Anime also act like long commercials for light novels and manga. Thats why so many shows end with cliffhangers. If a show succeeds in raising the sales of it's original book to an acceptable level it's done it's job and doesn't need to come back.

Fucking happened with No Game no Life. Was worried for a while it was happening with One Punch Man as well, but that's coming back in the autumn :ohmygod:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Fucking happened with No Game no Life. Was worried for a while it was happening with One Punch Man as well, but that's coming back in the autumn :ohmygod:

Happened with Panty and Stocking too

But there isn't even a manga for that...

15 hours ago, Marcus Cato said:

So much about objective critics.

Well there is reviewers whose jobs seem to be considered: Tell me the chance that I like it if I buy a ticket (so pretty much the same as anyone talking about a movie after seeing it).

And their is critics, whose jobs is to do stuff a friend that have seen a movie and doing recommendation is not expected to do :

A critic, on the other hand, will spend less time reviewing content and more time placing the item in context with works of a similar nature so there is a basis of comparison for judgment. There is no point in judging a detective novel by the same standards that you would judge a book of poetry, or a Country music CD by those you’d use for an opera. Each of these has their own set of criteria that has been established by precedent over the years, and it is the critic’s job to understand enough about a genre to judge how well an individual piece fits within it.

This is even more important when dealing with pieces that are experimental in nature. A critic has to be able to understand not only what is being attempted, but also how well the attempt succeeds based on the norm that is being broken. A critic has to be able to inform his or her audience about any information that is pertinent to the item being critiqued.

For a critic the context of the work (in the artist body of work, in the society it was made in) will tend to be taken into account, people complaining that a critic compare a superheroes movie quality and content to the other super heroes movie of is era, previous movies of a director or the original movie in the case of a remake, saying that they should evaluate the movie in a vacuum are going against a lot of what criticism is, everyone can evaluate a movie in a vacuum doing more than that is often what professional critics are paid to do and what could interest their reader's. The same goes when people point stuff like: That silly movie got better criticism than that serious one !?! It is ok to use the intent to judge a movie.

Edited by Barnack

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, KevinPr said:

How about if there's a comparison between this niche anime thing in Japan and the popularity of American TV Series that are mostly aired in US during prime time? Are the TV series also considered niche as well?? Sorry, but I've never paid attention to the American television and their prime time programs, so I think there might be some correlation between the anime popularity in Japan and TV Series in the United States.

There is no correlation. Anime is a genre. A primetime show airs in the evening (primetime refers to the eveining since its considered the best time to air a show for consumption) and can consist of any genre. I cant speak to how niche anime is but in the US, primetime TV can vary wildly between being mainstream and being niche depending on many factors. But the point is you really cant compare a genre with a time period.

27 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

There is no correlation. Anime is a genre. A primetime show airs in the evening (primetime refers to the eveining since its considered the best time to air a show for consumption) and can consist of any genre. I cant speak to how niche anime is but in the US, primetime TV can vary wildly between being mainstream and being niche depending on many factors. But the point is you really cant compare a genre with a time period.

Sorry, wb, anime isn't a genre. It's a style. I'll defend that to the death. 

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

These days the west actually has a big effect on the success of Anime, as streaming services like Crunchyroll and Funimation become a bigger deal, not to mention when the big guns get involved like Netflix. 

Hulu has a crazy amount of anime.

Netflix will probably continue to push towards original programing rather than licensing.

Edited by grey ghost

22 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sorry, wb, anime isn't a genre. It's a style. I'll defend that to the death. 

Isn't it both?

gen·re
ˈZHänrə/
noun
  1. a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

2 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

It seems like it has a good shot at $200M WW. It's a medium sized flop so nothing catastrophic to Scarjo.

200 m WW with ~100 m budget is just barely a flop. Some might say it's more of a disappointment.

I doubt Paramount and other investors lose much money after dvd sales, tv rights, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

I thought that Lucy was considered awful, but I am surprised to see that it got decent reviews: 61 on Metacritic, 67% on RT. That is much better than GitS.

Having seen both, Lucy is more fun/interesting to watch.

I say this as a fan of the gits manga and casual defender of ScarJo's gits.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Hulu has a crazy amount of anime.

Netflix will probably continue to push towards priginal programing rather than licensing.

We don't get Hulu over here. Cowboy Bebop only just became legally available to stream here on Netflix, whereas it's been on Hulu forever. 

• Like 1