The Usual Suspects

25 members have voted

1. 1. The Usual Suspects

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is also one of my favorite movies. I really never saw that ending coming until pretty much when it was revealed. That pretty much never happens to me so I was completely shocked. I liked everyone in it.

Like Angel said previously, watching this a second time does make you appreciate some of the scenes more. Now when Kevin Spacey is just sitting in the room alone looking around, you know he is making up his story right there instead of just randomly staring.

A

• Like 2

The ending was ruined for me prior to seeing this the first time. I'm not really sure if that's why, but I've never been that enthralled with the twist ending as others are. It's a good twist, but it doesn't make the film for me.

Rather, I liked the story, sharp dialogue, and love how it's shot like an old-fashioned crime flick, score and all. It's the characters that make the film.......not that you really care about them as people, but they're all quirky and add a distinct flavor to the movie.

Singer's best, for sure.

B+

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 2

finally watched this and it really lives up to the hype, I knew the twist (thanks to some SM1 reviews I read) and yet I was completely shocked by it. Spacey didn't deserve just one Oscar, he deserved two for his perfect acting.  Another great was the score, it was magnificent, looking forward to purchase it. I'm not fond of this type of movie, but it still kept me entertained the whole duration (dat Singer direction). 85/100

Edited by Goffe Rises
  • Like 2

My issue with this film is that it focuses so much on its mystery that it loses any other tension or emotion it had. Take, for example, the shootout on the boat at the end of the film. By the time you get there, you pretty much know what will happen. Everyone will die and Soze will be on the boat. The only real questions that are left are whether or not Keaton lives and is he Soze or not? And those questions can only be answered at the end anyway. The result is that the scene, which lasts for like 10 minutes, is devoid of any real tension or interest. The only thing that matters is the end of the scene, which causes everything else to drag and feel boring. I feel like this happens far too often in the movie. The mystery upstages the characters and the plot.Did I like the twist/mystery? Well, I saw it coming (really Keaton and Roger were the only ones well developed enough to be Soze, and once the film started stacking the deck in favor of Keaton being Soze, you knew they were going to reveal that Roger was Soze). Still, I liked the twist. I thought that the scene where everything was revealed was directed well, plus I liked how Spacey sold the twist with his amazing acting.However, that great twist couldn't make up for an experience that felt detached and ultimately, a little meaningless.2.5/4 

• Like 1

I've never heard anyone say they knew that Verbal was Soze. Incredible, DJM.

I didn't say that I knew it was Verbal. What I said was that I guessed it would be Verbal or Keaton. Ask yourself this question: who else could the filmmakers have revealed to be Soze while still providing a satisfying climax? If they revealed it to be anyone of the other team members, it would have been rather weak, as those guys aren't developed well enough. The only two guys who are developed with depth are Keaton and Roger. We know all about Keaton, about his past, about his change of heart, about how he was an ex-cop. Now, Roger isn't developed in the sense that he has some long backstory. Instead, his backstory is kept rather shrouded. However, the film gives Roger a sense of added importance in the way they present him to us. He is the only character that we see speaking in real-time, all of the others come to us in flashbacks. He is the narrator for the story, and in every film/play/book, the narrator often has a function that goes beyond just explaining the events of the story (think of how in Gatsby, Nick tells us the events, but also comments on them or how in Memento, Leonard tells us the events, but proves to be a bit unreliable). Lastly, he is also the only character other than Keaton to have affection for someone other than himself. Keaton had affection for his wife; Roger has affection for Keaton (or so he claims). To me, that was a very interesting bit of information that told me to focus more on this character. When I added up all of these clues, I began to guess that it might be either Keaton or Roger.As the film progressed, it revealed that Keaton was Soze. But I didn't buy it. For starters, I knew that the film wasn't over (I had seen the runtime), so that was my first clue that the filmmakers would probably pull a double-twist and show us that Roger is Soze. Then, after Keaton was revealed to be Soze, we get the cop sending a fax over with Soze's face, but we never actually see the fax. If Keaton was Soze, the film directors would have shown us the fax, because they had nothing to hide, but by not showing us it, I knew that they still had something that they were hiding. These facts, along with the other clues that came before Keaton's reveal, pretty much confirmed that Roger is Soze.And it shouldn't come as a surprise by the way. When you look at Roger, you realize he perfectly fits the character that ordinary people would not look at as being sinister. He has the crippled leg, he actually doesn't talk much when he is with the group (although he talks a lot to the cop) and his affection and belief that Keaton changed seems to be overly naïve (of course, it's an act).So that's how one can ultimately tell that Verbal/Roger is Soze.But like I said, I don't fault the film for this, because I feel like the filmmakers did a good job giving us reasons why both Roger and Keaton could be Soze. I also felt like they did a good job handling the final reveal. My problems with the film exist for entirely different reasons. 

• Like 1

I could watch this film every night.  The dialogue alone is reason for it.....then you have Del Torro.  His performance has me crying from laughter sometimes.  

• Like 4