grim22

The Disaster Artist - Movie about making of "The Room" | Dec 8 2017

9 hours ago, Hatebox said:

— I was watching at a relatively small cinema, but it was sold out... and my audience went nuts. They were even clapping at the end. For the UK this is almost unheard of. I don't know what it means for its BO prospects as you kind of have to know/like The Room in the first place to get the most out of the movie, but I think its future status as a cult hit at the very least is in the bag. 

That's especially weird because the exact same thing happened at my screening. And, like you said, this stuff never happens in UK screenings (aside from stuff like festivals and shit). So to have it happen here not once but twice (unless we accidentally attended the same screening without realising it (Bournemouth Odeon?)) is really something.

Edited by rukaio101

13 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

Clapping at the end if a movie in the UK should not be used as a sign of WOM. I live in the UK and had people clapping at the end of BvS

A) Damn, talk about easily pleased.

B ) I don't think anyone's expecting a Get Out style box office run. But it's definitely going to be as much of a hit as a movie like this could reasonably expect — and I say that as someone who thought it was just okay.

Because I have no life and it's been on my mind I made a list of the differences between the film and book. I don't think these made it worse and in some cases added to the immediate drama, but just for anyone who's not read the source material and is curious:

Spoiler

— Greg and Tommy did meet in acting class, but Greg moved to LA months before Tommy joined him.

— Tommy was already a huge fan of James Dean before meeting Greg, and in fact humorously thought Greg had never heard of him.

— Tommy did hit a low point when he couldn't break into acting, but actually disappeared without warning for months leading Greg to think he might have committed suicide. It was while away that he conceived The Room, but initially as a novel, and then a play.

— Greg met Amber while they were both working at an LA clothing store. She didn't meet Tommy until he returned from his meltdown. There's no indication Tommy was insanely jealous, at least of her.

— The beard shaving incident did happen, and Greg describes it as awful, but there was no Malcolm In The Middle job riding on it.

— Raphael, the angry DP, was fired well before they went to San Fran, and replaced with another guy who also quit after just a few days because Tommy wouldn't buy air conditioning.

— The actor who played Peter was also fired halfway through filming and not invited to the premiere.

— The blowout between Greg and Tommy while throwing the football at the end didn't happen. Tommy just tackled Greg because he jokingly spoke French at Tommy while filming a take. They filmed more SF scenes straight after that and then didn't talk for a while because Tommy was editing the film.

— The premiere had a lot of laughs but no celebratory cheering, and a lot of walkouts. Obviously that scene was meant to highlight how current audiences respond to the film rather than how that one went down, but it would be years before it got that kind of mass reaction.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/tommy-wiseaus-five-favorite-films/

Wiseau's favorites are Citizen Kane, Giant, Sonny, Casablanca, and A Streetcar Named Desire.

I don’t know if you knew the story here that The Disaster Artist is based on the great storybook Disaster Artist, right? 

:hahaha: 

Incredible movie.  Top three this year for me thus far.  I can't believe how good both Franco boys are and I really hope this gets a lot of Oscar buzz.  It's better than Three Billboards and Lady Bird.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Incredible movie.  Top three this year for me thus far.  I can't believe how good both Franco boys are and I really hope this gets a lot of Oscar buzz.  It's better than Three Billboards and Lady Bird.

GODDAMN IT BAUMER STOP MAKING ME AGREE WITH YOU.

• Haha 1