Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

Films he directed.

right... didnt get that at first... seemed strange to me that anybody would overlook batman and robin in the context i understood the post  :unsure:

but considering he is directing everything makes sense now :)

I'm wondering how much valentines day inflated certain movies.Endless Love won't hold strong overly well, but good word of mouth should let About Last Night be a hit.I think The Monuments Men might be a bit overinflated, there wasn't much of an option for older couples.LEGO and Frozen are the two that probably are going to hold strong the best due to being family movies and not couple movies.This is the one weekend where I want to see Saturday before making a judgement.Monuments Men might make it to 70m but I'm thinking mid-high 60s.RoboCop is having a lackluster opening, but it hunk it can pull off high 50s to low 60sAbout Last Night might perform like Think Like a Man Too.A winters tale is the obvious bomb.

Not sure why you think Endless Love won't hold?  I enjoyed it and it seems like the target audience did too.

• Like 2

BATTLE: LA, TOTAL RECAL, AFTER EARTH, and now ROBOCOP. Sony has no luck with hard scifi.

who has luck with scifi anymore?...it has been hijacked by superhero movies, and so ordinary heroes + scifi looks like a lesser sell compared to them. let's see how JA does this summer.

Edited by a2knet

• Founder / Operator

I'm sorry, I'm new here

Who/what is RTH?

If not already answered, he's a member here with access to the hard actual box office numbers. They're not like usual unconfirmed estimates or projections that most sources report earlier in the day, but actual estimated results that precede official reports from the studios on the following day. He's kind enough to post them for us. :)

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

who has luck with scifi anymore?...it has been hijacked by superhero movies, and so ordinary heroes + scifi looks like a lesser sell compared to them. let's see how JA does this summer.

AVATAR. Remember that movie? GRAVITY is kinda scifi.

PROMETHEUS & PAC RIM are reasonable successes.

APES franchise is building up nicely.

I hope no one is counting on JA to "revitalize" sci-fi.

Not that it necessarily needs to be revitalized, There are still big hits like Inception and Gravity, there are still smaller hits like Prometheus and Super 8, and stuff like Iron Man, Avengers, and Hunger Games are all partly sci-fi too. Let alone Transformers, Star Trek, or Star Wars. I heard there might be sequels to Avatar, Terminator, Jurassic Park, and ID4 too.

etc

etc

etc

Quality-wise, I've loved movies like Oblivion, Looper, Moon, Dredd, and a million more.

If anything, the problem with sci-fi these days is that there's just so darn much of it. It's hardly special anymore, and needs to look visually revolutionary (Avatar, Inception, Gravity) to really stand out.

Speaking of sci-fi, we watched Europa Report last weekend. A decent movie, but I can see why it never played in more than a handful of theaters.

By the way, for any sci-fi fans here, how many of you have seen The Last Push? That's some legit science fiction right there. Be warned, there's a distinct lack of explosions or special effects, and the movie isn't perfect, but it definitely gets to the heart of what sci-fi is all about.

AVATAR. Remember that movie? GRAVITY is kinda scifi.

A decade after Titanic, if James Cameron made Robocop 3D would it have been a flop?

Yeah Gravity was scifi.

PROMETHEUS & PAC RIM are reasonable successes.

PTEUS was a prequel to the classic Alien...also from the same director. They also displayed the title in the exact same way to remind you that.

PAC RIM was also a monster movie. Also an underperformer at the domestic bo.

APES franchise is building up nicely.

1 movie so far

Edited by a2knet

Not sure why you think Endless Love won't hold?  I enjoyed it and it seems like the target audience did too.

Just look at the second weekend drops of most Nicholas Spark adaptions.

That's a good comparison, considering it seems to be targeting the same audience as those films.

21 / 55 is my prediction for the final gross.