Impact

Best Actress-2014 Predictions

I'm currently 75% into Gone Girl and if Pike does the character justice I think she needs to be considered a shoe-in for a nom.

I agree with this. I couldn't imagine anyone else in her role. I have to say, all characters seemed to be well cast. Even Tyler Perry's.

Perry is the only one who still seems strange to me. I couldn't help but imagine McConaughey while reading.

Same here! It makes sense considering that he's played a lawyer at least three times (A Time to Kill, Amistad, The Lincoln Lawyer).

• Like 2

Can't believe June Carter is the frontunner until now according to AW.

Jul. 1 - Aug. 1 Poll Results

01. Reese Witherspoon,

Wild

(84%)

02. Rosamund Pike,

Gone Girl

(79%)

03. Amy Adams,

Big Eyes

(76%)

04. Meryl Streep,

Into the Woods

(54%)

05. Jessica Chastain,

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them

(35%)

06. Michelle Williams,

Suite Française

(33%)

07. Shailene Woodley,

The Fault in Our Stars

(14%)

08. Jessica Chastain,

A Most Violent Year

(14%)

08. Julianne Moore,

Maps to the Stars

(14%)

08. Carey Mulligan,

Suffragette

(14%)

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Witherspoon, Adams and Pike do seem like the only contenders with real chance here. I actually wouldn't mind Pike winning if she does the character justice. I doubt I can get behind Adams losing to Witherspoon though.

Witherspoon with 2 Oscars ? Hell to the no !

I like her but come on !!!

• Like 1

I don't think Streep will be classified as Best Actress, more likely supporting.

I'm really cheering for Woodley to get in though, after re-watching TFiOS it is fairly clear that just because it has a YA label doesn't mean the movie is exactly what would normally score big at the Oscars.  Woodley's performance in particular is definitely worth a nomination.

I just hope lazy AMPAS won t nominate Meryl playing a witch.Enough is enough.It s nothing personal but come on.

The Witch can be a fairly showy role, if Meryl deserves it nominate her, if she doesn't don't. 

I hate when these are the most popular phrases mentioned when talking about Oscars,

"This person should get nominated for X movie because they're overdue"

"X should get a nom because they're X"

"Don't nominate X, they've been nominated enough, give somebody else a chance."

Ideally it should be about who does their job the best for that particular film, not if they got robbed in the past or if they have won to many Oscars.  Now when predicting obviously these do unfortunately take into account on who is more likely to win, but it doesn't mean we should give into that way of thinking when talking about who should or shouldn't be nominated.

The Witch can be a fairly showy role, if Meryl deserves it nominate her, if she doesn't don't. I hate when these are the most popular phrases mentioned when talking about Oscars,"This person should get nominated for X movie because they're overdue" "X should get a nom because they're X" "Don't nominate X, they've been nominated enough, give somebody else a chance." Ideally it should be about who does their job the best for that particular film, not if they got robbed in the past or if they have won to many Oscars.  Now when predicting obviously these do unfortunately take into account on who is more likely to win, but it doesn't mean we should give into that way of thinking when talking about who should or shouldn't be nominated.

But that s the problem with Meryl, she gets nominated for everything. Maybe she ll do a great witch in Into the Woods but 19th nom ? Really ?
  • Like 1

Moore seems to have a more baity role and let us face it she deserved to win for PTA's Boogie Nights. Not many actresses would've been able to pull that role off. Meryl is Meryl so you can't write her off but she has been nominated so many times and has won so many times that I don't think she will have a real chance this year. It will be either Moore or another actress not named Meryl Streep.

• Like 1