Shawn Robbins

Saturday #s pg 19 ROAE 16.4,MRP 14.4,NS 7.1,LM 5.4

Don't worry, Tony. FROZEN will add at most $10M at the end of its run (for a $403M final tally).

MUPPETS & RIO 2 will take out most of its audience in the coming weeks.

Direct competition has had pretty much no effect on Frozen up until this point, so I doubt it will start with Muppets or Rio. Heck, Disney might get cute and have a Muppet/Frozen double bill to push the gross a bit more.

Check out the effect from "direct competition" on Frozen so far (most movies would kill for drops like these even without competition):

Jan. 17 - The Nut Job (19.4m opening): -20.1%Feb. 7 - The Lego Movie (69m opening): -23.1%Mar. 7 - Peabody and Sherman (32.5m opening): -17.1%

• Like 5

Direct competition has had pretty much no effect on Frozen up until this point, so I doubt it will start with Muppets or Rio. Heck, Disney might get cute and have a Muppet/Frozen double bill to push the gross a bit more.

Check out the effect from "direct competition" on Frozen so far (most movies would kill for drops like these even without competition):

Jan. 17 - The Nut Job (19.4m opening): -20.1%Feb. 7 - The Lego Movie (69m opening): -23.1%Mar. 7 - Peabody and Sherman (32.5m opening): -17.1%

LOL Frozen has been on Amazon instant watch for 2 weeks now and the DVD is coming out this week. I don't think anything is stopping it's theater run. Obviously it's a movie people enjoy watching in the theaters.

• Like 1

300:ROAE Domestic: $45,050,000 33.9% + Foreign:  $87,800,000  66.1% = Worldwide: $132,850,000

I don't think anyone saw a 100M WW weekend coming when it was delayed for 6 months. What was expected to be a massive flop will end up being a good money earner.

And 2014 so far is showing how the game has changed for major releases. Everything doesn't have to be released in summer to get good box office. The former wasteland of January/February/March is evolving into a thing of the past.

Interesting how things change.

• Like 3

300:ROAE Domestic: $45,050,000 33.9% + Foreign:  $87,800,000  66.1% = Worldwide: $132,850,000

I don't think anyone saw a 100M WW weekend coming when it was delayed for 6 months. What was expected to be a massive flop will end up being a good money earner.

Whoa that is fantastic for 300. Did it open in all its markets?

And 2014 so far is showing how the game has changed for major releases. Everything doesn't have to be released in summer to get good box office. The former wasteland of January/February/March is evolving into a thing of the past.

Interesting how things change.

A few good performers, but in many cases it's still a wasteland with movies like Vampire Academy, Winter's Tale, Labor Day, Devil's Due, Hercules, I, Frankenstein, Pompeii, Endless Love (all under 25m)

A few good performers, but in many cases it's still a wasteland with movies like Vampire Academy, Winter's Tale, Labor Day, Devil's Due, Hercules, I, Frankenstein, Pompeii, Endless Love (all under 25m)

Yeah but at least there are hits. There will always be flops even during summer and holidays.

Yeah but at least there are hits. There will always be flops even during summer and holidays.

True. I think the "bad time of year" becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. It's perceived as bad so becomes a dumping ground for all the junk studios know won't do well, and when they tank it reinforces the perception.

• Like 2

lots of people were under predicting still. Boxoffice.com's original Long range prediction I think was an 18m OW

They were pretty accurate till last week (ignoring Lego). Basically, the long range predictions this time have failed to detect the break outs, but then again that is why they are called break-outs since no one sees them coming.

Posted Image

They were pretty accurate till last week (ignoring Lego). Basically, the long range predictions this time have failed to detect the break outs, but then again that is why they are called break-outs since no one sees them coming.

Posted Image

They are spot on in the OW.

I am not sure I saw 300 and WWZ being huge hits.

We on this board sometimes let say go into a bizzaro alternate reality from the general audience. 

A 45 million opening weekend while impressive for 300: ROAE, is not something I would call "huge".