Dementeleus

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So far the best movie of the year, and even if there's still over 250 films or so to watch this year, i guess this will be n my top 10 for sure. 

Simply loved it, 100% Anderson, great performances, beautiful cinematography and incredibly funny. 

Can't wait to see this again.

10/10

• Like 1

Went back to see this again yesterday. My opinion on it improved ever so slightly, but I'd still rank it lower on the Wes List. Actually, I've re-watched all 8 of his films since last weekend. 

HERE'S UP TO THE MINUTE WES LIST:

1. Tenenbaums

2. Moonrise (re-watching this one was the biggest surprise. I always enjoyed it, but now I LOVE it)

3. Rushmore

4. Aquatic

5. Fox

6. Budapest

7. Rocket

8. Darjeeling

Did someone say list?

1. Rushmore

2. Fantastic Mr. Fox

3. Moonrise Kingdom

4. Bottle Rocket

5. Grand Budapest Hotel

6. Darjeeling Limited

7. The Royal Tenenbaums

8. The Life Aquatic

Admittedly I gotta rewatch the last two. All I clearly remember is that they left me completely cold and disappointed that one time I watched them four years ago. But enough time has passed that I don't 100% trust the early 2010 version of me at this point.

• Like 1

Wes Anderson has just delivered one of his most unique and wonderful films to date. There's certainly elements of a fun crime caper sewn in here, as well as a lament of times past and the ways in which war and violence can ruin society, but it's always never less than satisfying. Ralph Fiennes is simply fantastic as Gustave, and the kid who plays Zero is also pretty good, too. I feel like the ending could have been drawn out a bit more, especially in its themes of reflection, but as it stands, it's something truly special.

I'm also in love with the hand-made aesthetic that Wes Anderson puts into his films, he's truly one of the most unique filmmakers today, and no matter what he brings to the table, you sure know it's going to look beautiful. 

A-

Also, I was a bit surprised at how dark this film got at times. The ending certainly has some more sobering themes, but the violence in this film is a bit surprising, if not slightly jarring, for the stuff Anderson normally does.

• Like 2

Saw this a second time since the first time was free, and damn if I don't love every little bit of this film. It's just one of those movies I could see having on an endless loop and never getting tired of. The mix of mystery, adventure, and comedy in this is simply perfection. Wes has honed his craft so much since Tenenbaums, imo. That movie almost feels amateur next to this one to me.

There's something about Ralph Fiennes in this movie that totally captivates me, and I've never even been a huge fan of him. It's just such a heartfelt, lovable, and of course funny performance. I desperately want a Best Actor nom for him next year, even though this came out too early for that to have much of a chance of happening. And that's saying nothing either of the rest of the huge cast who all do great jobs even with the little roles.

I love this movie to pieces and will watch it over and over again. A+

I guess if we're doing lists...

1. Fantastic Mr. Fox

2. Rushmore

3. Moonrise Kingdom

4. Grand Budapest Hotel

5. The Royal Tenenbaums

6. The Darjeeling Limited

7. The Life Aquatic

I need to see Bottle Rocket again to find a fair placement.

Caught this last night.

I enjoyed it, and yet it is ultimately extremely slight and inconsequential.  All Wes Anderson films tend to follow this path for me.  There's always an abundance of creativity on display, and yet I don't really remember a damn thing in a week's time.

Edited by mattmav45

Saw this earlier today and thought it was odd, but after thinking about it for the rest of the day, I've come to the conclusion that I enjoyed it. It's funny at points, and when it's not funny, it's always entrancing. The technical stuff is all great, and Fiennes and Revolori have a great endearing bond. The highlight is Willem DeFoe though. All in all, a good time, if not necessarily great overall A-/A