Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

The Oscar category that I care the most about now has its nominees:

“Big Hero 6” Don Hall, Chris Williams and Roy Conli
“The Boxtrolls” Anthony Stacchi, Graham Annable and Travis Knight
“How to Train Your Dragon 2” Dean DeBlois and Bonnie Arnold
“Song of the Sea” Tomm Moore and Paul Young
“The Tale of the Princess Kaguya” Isao Takahata and Yoshiaki Nishimura

The AMPAS always does weird snubs, Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2 got nominated over Tintin and Winnie the Pooh. Maybe DWA is bribing the voters to ensure a win for HTTYD2 :D

I remember a few years back at the Annie Awards, KFP won every won it was nominated for beating Wall-E and unsurprisingly Disney pulled out as they believed they had been rigged in DWA's favour.

• Like 1

I'll admit it now, of course my predictions were jokes. I'd love that to happen though Anyway, my real predictions1] How To Train Your Dragon 2- No way this misses unless pulled of schedule2] Big Hero 6- No way this misses unless pulled of schedule3] The book of life- looks good and has that Oscar feel4] The Boxtrolls- Laika will get a nomination with this5] Foreign language film or Home [i think home could do a lot better with critics and audiences than people are thinking] 

I actually do honestly believe the LEGO movie will not get in

I was actually correct about Lego :o

• Like 4

Wow!

I really did not expect that. I thought Lego was a shoo-in, at least for a nom. I'm actually kind of sad that The Boxtrolls got the nom instead of it. Not because I think Lego is better. (I put them about even, really. Lego does some things better, but Boxtrolls has an aesthetic and some design choices that are incredibly unique.) But rather, I'd hoped that Book of Life would sneak in there if something was going to get dropped.

As for a winner, now. I really don't know.

I feel like it will be Dragon? Probably? But really it feels like a tossup at this point.

• Like 1

The AMPAS always does weird snubs, Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2 got nominated over Tintin and Winnie the Pooh. Maybe DWA is bribing the voters to ensure a win for HTTYD2 :D

I remember a few years back at the Annie Awards, KFP won every won it was nominated for beating Wall-E and unsurprisingly Disney pulled out as they believed they had been rigged in DWA's favour.

And the Annies lost all credibility that day. I can forgive a snub if the movie probably wouldn't have won anyway, but this is disgraceful.

• Like 1

Wow!

I really did not expect that. I thought Lego was a shoo-in, at least for a nom. I'm actually kind of sad that The Boxtrolls got the nom instead of it. Not because I think Lego is better. (I put them about even, really. Lego does some things better, but Boxtrolls has an aesthetic and some design choices that are incredibly unique.) But rather, I'd hoped that Book of Life would sneak in there if something was going to get dropped.

As for a winner, now. I really don't know.

I feel like it will be Dragon? Probably? But really it feels like a tossup at this point.

Yeah. BoL was superior to Boxtrolls. My ideal five:

Big Hero 6

Book of Life

The Lego Movie

Song of the Sea

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Yeah, I would have snubbed HTTYD2. 

Love how the field is still open this year though vs. last year when only deluded haters couldn't see Queen Elsa total domination!

• Like 1

Now that the front runner's out, I think I'll be rooting for Song of the Sea or Princess Kaguya in this category. I haven't seen either, but it would be cool to see a smaller animated film win on the heels of the biggest animated film ever winning last year.

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 1

Just gonna say, I called it too earlier sadly :/

Actually, I kinda see the point on LEGO possibly not being nominated. The older Academy members could easily view it as "a toy commercial" and it was released pretty early this year, so it could be forgotten.

Now, I personally think it'll be nominated, but a lock it ain't

• Like 1

I remember being mad about Wreck-It Ralph losing to Brave. The LEGO Movie (which is much better than Ralph and one of the best animated movies out there) not even getting nominated while movies likes Boxtrolls and Big Hero 6 do (both worse than Brave) is a travesty.

• Like 1

I've seen four of the five. I will have seen all five by the end of the month.

Of the ones I've seen, I'd vote for Kaguya, but its story - particularly the ending - is so different from what American audiences are used to that I won't be surprised if it doesn't win.