Films

Weekend estimates | Veronica mars- 2M (down 39% on Sat), 300 2-19.1M,LEGO (7.71M), non-stop (10.6M)

True, though I think they were going for a Fast & Furious like vibe.

Prince of Persia imo had a lot of potential, only if they had taken a lead who didn't perpetually look in need for sleep (see what i did here  :ph34r: ) and even if the look of the movie wasn't so dull and joyless.

Posted Image

:P

Edited by grim22
  • Like 8

Somewhat on topic. Why aren't more outlets reporting on the issues with Flixster/Ultravoilet that people who wanted to redeem their Veronica Mars digital downloads encountered?

Ultravoilet is a major studio initiative, and if they can't get dedicated fans who paid money to get a movie made onboard then they need to take a deep look at the issues and try to make it more user friendly. Or iTunes and Amazon will basically get complete control over the digital downloads side of things. 

I think one of the major drawbacks of Ultravoilet is no physical copies, the other drawback is that the studios may be behind the initiative, but they refuse to let it be a single-sign on, people need their ultravoilet passwords as well as the studio password to be able to watch a movie. The lack of an actual copy on user systems will cause a lot of pushback for sure, since people don't want to be connected to watch something they own.

Ultraviolet isn't going to work. Itunes and Amazon aren't without flaws of their own but Ultraviolet is DOA if they don't adapt.

• Like 4

240M WW worldwide box office would absolutely make a 65m budget movie be profitable.

Jack Reacher made 218m ww off 60m and they are still going to make a sequel

It's interesting though.  The DVD didn't do all that well according to The-numbers.com.  Combined with BR, it only made about 23 million dollars.  I'm sure some network bought the TV rights for 12% of the domestic box office, so that gives it about another 9.5 mill.  So even taking all of this into consideration, it still didn't really turn a profit.  So either the foreign HV sales are doing really well or they just have confidence that the sequel will be a lot bigger.  

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

Jack Reacher made three times it's budget. It was a success. Tom Cruise always has projects lined up so that's why a sequel hasn't been made

Yeah, even with marketing the budget was under $100 million. $218m global gross was likely enough to break even or turn a small profit during its theatrical run.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 5

Jack Reacher made three times it's budget. It was a success. Tom Cruise always has projects lined up so that's why a sequel hasn't been made

I believe it gave them some profit, but I just don't see a sequel happening anytime soon.

• Like 7

yeah mainly because the first film didn't exactly leave people crying for a sequel but even if there was definitely going to be one it makes sense why it hasn't happened yet (Same reason there are decent sized gaps between the Mission Impossible movies)

• Like 2

Somewhat on topic. Why aren't more outlets reporting on the issues with Flixster/Ultravoilet that people who wanted to redeem their Veronica Mars digital downloads encountered?Ultravoilet is a major studio initiative, and if they can't get dedicated fans who paid money to get a movie made onboard then they need to take a deep look at the issues and try to make it more user friendly. Or iTunes and Amazon will basically get complete control over the digital downloads side of things. I think one of the major drawbacks of Ultravoilet is no physical copies, the other drawback is that the studios may be behind the initiative, but they refuse to let it be a single-sign on, people need their ultravoilet passwords as well as the studio password to be able to watch a movie. The lack of an actual copy on user systems will cause a lot of pushback for sure, since people don't want to be connected to watch something they own.

This was my first use of Ultraviolet and although I didn't have a problem with the download it still pissed me off. I had to physically plug my computer into the TV to watch it. Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

I believe it gave them some profit, but I just don't see a sequel happening anytime soon.

It pretty much depends on whether or not Tom Cruise wants to do a sequel. If he decides he wants to the studio will probably say go ahead.
  • Like 1

The media companies own billboards, newspapers, tv channels (network, basic and premium cable), radio, and more. They can advertise something like John Carter when they don't sell a TV spot on say Disney-owned ESPN. Then they don't have to sell a spot for too little to something like Chia Pet during Monday Night Football which will make you look basement. Then you sell the television rights to your movie back to yourself for whatever you want cause all you are doing is shuffling money from one division to another. That's why Fox could only sell the syndicated rights to The Simpsons to themselves cause no one else could afford it. These companies have been around 100 years most of them. Hollywood may be liberal but they know how to make money.

• Like 7

That's true to an extent but in many cases the talent has a cut of the revenue from the home market, syndication etc. The studio has to get the best deal. Just because it is sold within the same media group doesn't mean there was anyone else out there who was willing to be pay more.

• Like 2

While Divergent only opens here on April 3, they are making special shows in a few theaters next Friday, the WW release of the movie. It is the same thing they did with Catching Fire.

• Like 3