Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

Um..... Avatar kinda ended with a cliffhanger.

I understand the need to revisit it due to how much money it made but I'd rather see James spend time on other projects rather then this. 

It did? That shows how much I remember of it. I think the last time I glanced at it, it was on FX before I changed the channel.

16 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

And here I thought I was the only one...

I'm a big fan of James Cameron movies but not Avatar. Once again unless it has this mind blowing new technology that demands that it be seen in theaters, it will not be as big a deal. Avatar is not Terminator or Aliens as far as fandoms go. It never seeped that far into pop culture after it left theaters. 

Frozen did a much better job at that.

That's why TERMINATOR GENISYS and PROMETHEUS made 2 B each, right?

Edited by kayumanggi

Kal, SW has been out a little over a week. Here is how it compares with JW's final numbers... and I emphasize, SW has been out a little over a week.

STAR WARS JURASSIC WORLD
Germany $44,600,000 $48,500,000
France $38,000,000 $41,300,000
Australia $29,700,000 $39,000,000
UK $83,000,000 $99,600,000
Japan $25,700,000 $74,000,000
China hasn't opened yet $228,000,000
USA $500,000,000 $652,000,000
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

See? Pink's Batman and I'm Gary Oldman over here, putting up a floodlight with a bat shape in the middle (it is *not* called a Bat Signal, ok?)

Oh dont give yourself too much credit. You're just Batman's pretty boy Robin.

Just now, kayumanggi said:

That's why TERMINATOR GENISYS and PROMETHEUS made 2 B each, right?

It would be T3: Rise Of The Machines. And obviously James Cameron didn't direct them. Had he, they would have been way bigger deals.

And yes the fandoms of those two universes are still way stronger then Avatar. Titanic is also remembered way more then Avatar.

38 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Kal, you delusional little boy.  Star Wars is going to do a billion here and that leaves it just 700 million internationally for it to pass Jurassic World.  By the end of tomorrow night, SW will have done more than 500 million internationally.  And that's in it's first 9 days and without China.  It's killing it in UK, Australia, Latin America and many other places.  Your loyalty to Cameron is touching but it's also useless.  SW is going to destroy Avatar here in North america and when all is said and done, it will be the second highest grossing film world wide.

Avatar 2 isn't going to hit 2 billion let alone double SW gross WW.  

You make me laugh.  

And I will own you just like I did 8yrs ago.  Your the one that is suffering from high delusion if you think avtr2 won't make more in a bigger market and ten times more loved than as is.  Then again you were small minded to think Cameron couldn't do it again and saying are wouldn't be a big thing.  

Bauer Jedi didn't take his meds.  

Avtr sequel is going to have a 180 to 200 plus opening and unlike as its multi will be between 5and 7. And os we will make more than the entire was run.  Likely doubling it Jedi boy.  Don't drink when you post Baum.  It's not a good look lol

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Kal, SW has been out a little over a week. Here is how it compares with JW's final numbers... and I emphasize, SW has been out a little over a week.

STAR WARS JURASSIC WORLD
USA $440,000,000 $652,000,000

where'd you get the extra 60 mil from?

Kal was actually so right in 2009 despite us all calling him insane.....and yet, somehow, it still seems like he was totally wrong. That's some grade-A lunacy right there- when your crazy prediction comes true, but you're so crazy it still seems wrong. 

But nothing wrong with a little lunacy, I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Avtr sequel is going to have a 180 to 200 plus opening and unlike as its multi will be between 5and 7. And os we will make more than the entire was run.  Likely doubling it Jedi boy.  Don't drink when you post Baum.  It's not a good look lol

180m OW with a 5x won't be enough to catch SW. ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

It would be T3: Rise Of The Machines. And obviously James Cameron didn't direct them. Had he, they would have been way bigger deals.

And yes the fandoms of those two universes are still way stronger then Avatar. Titanic is also remembered way more then Avatar.

Cameron is directing the AVATAR sequels so why would they be any different? You are talking about fandoms, if they had been indeed huge, they would have supported TERMINATOR GENISYS and PROMETHEUS whoever the directors were.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

Cameron is directing the AVATAR sequels so why would they be any different? You are talking about fandoms, if they had been indeed huge, they would have supported TERMINATOR GENISYS and PROMETHEUS whoever the directors were.

What I'm stating is there is very little of an Avatar fandom. 

And those fandoms are huge, but when the properties got exchanged to different directors or bad word of mouth got out about those movies, the excitement dropped and people went back to the originals. No one was going to support Genisys because of how terrible it looked right off the bat, people were already pissed about the PG-13 rating of T3 and the dullness of Salvation. 

Prometheus was not an Alien sequel, but those diminished in quality after Aliens. And the upcoming Aliens sequel that is coming is already generating a ton of buzz but I already don't have a ton of faith in it's director after Chappie, as cool as the concept art looks.

When people dress up as those characters it's not from the later sequels, it's from the iconic ones. I've never seen Avatar have that sort of reach in pop culture. It was there and then it was forgotten.

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

STAR WARS JURASSIC WORLD
USA $500,000,000 $652,000,000

China has never supported tele. What happens if it makes only 80m to 120 there.  You forgot to mention no big releases have hit sws yet.  Aren't there five coming lol? 

Titanic will hold for the number 2 ww spot. And though slim I'm think jpw can still win. Lots of films have opened big and fisselled os.  450m and slot left to go to reach Titanic's 2b and change I might ad. Baum going to be on succide watch when are makes near or more than doubles the force.  Fanboys always lose to kal and Cameron wrecking train.  I hope just for good measure we slaughter the Dec ow record.  Though I suspect that young fan driven over record for Dec could stand for a while.  Cameron folks don't rush out necessarily like HP and was loonies to see his super epics.  But send films don't get 30 and 9.8 multipliers either tele. Force awakens will be a memory soon. 

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Are you equating box office potential to pop culture influence? That argument is flawed.

• Like 1