Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

A little bit of fresh news from Stephen Lang.

https://screenrant.com/avatar-2-underwater-stephen-lang/

Screen Rant: So, just switching gears for a second, in what ways do you see that sequel [Avatar 2] pushing the boundaries like the first one did? Because that movie is groundbreaking, so many movies couldn’t have been made without that movie having been made first. So, it what ways is James Cameron pushing that new technology and new style of film making for the next few chapters?

Stephen Lang: Well, in ways that are probably too numerous or too, kind of, complex or too subtle for me to even articulate right now. I mean, look it’s no secret that we’re doing a lot of underwater motion capture, which, in itself is groundbreaking, it just hasn’t been done.

SR: Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anybody doing underwater Motion Capture.

Lang: No, it hasn’t been done, and it presents a whole host of challenges. But, you know from Jim’s resume you can ascertain that he does enjoy the water.

SR: Yes.

Lang: There’s something about the world being undersea. That is extremely beautiful, fascinating, challenging to him. So, you know, there’s sections that taker place. . . so, that in itself is a big deal. But just, what are we, three months into shooting now, it’s like nothing I’ve done before.

SR: Interesting. . . Are you guys shooting . . .

Lang: It’s in many ways reminiscent of Avatar, but it’s kind of Avatar on steroids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

A precise presentation of how IronJimbo & JamesCameronScholar have been taking over this thread (with occasionally another random Cameron fanboy) with those crazy predictions that only they think reasonable.

giphy.gif

$3b isn't crazy, far more likely than <$2b worldwide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

A precise presentation of how IronJimbo & JamesCameronScholar have been taking over this thread (with occasionally another random Cameron fanboy) with those crazy predictions that only they think reasonable.

giphy.gif

How exactly is my prediction unreasonable? 

You can brand me as crazy all you like, but when this makes over 3b worldwide I expect dozens of apologies. Also don't even think about saying I was still crazy for predicting that high and was just lucky because X,Y or Z. It's not me who is out of touch with reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You can brand me as crazy all you like, but when this makes over 3b worldwide I expect dozens of apologies. Also don't even think about saying I was still crazy for predicting that high and was just lucky because X,Y or Z. It's not me who is out of touch with reality.

When Jim does it again it'll be even harder for people to call what he has repeatedly done luck. 

5 hours ago, vc2002 said:

giphy.gif

Just rechecked that gif and I don't see the group of sore losers standing in a corner complaining about how this sucks and will fail. I guess you're just off camera? ;)

A great quote in this article : https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/avatar-virtual-production-art-director-working-james-cameron-future-cinema-tech-1077840 

What was your collaboration with Cameron like?

Very difficult, actually. The man is a genius, and he can really do everybody's job better than they can. He was very gracious and thankful when it was all over, but while it was happening, we were all suffering because we could not anticipate exactly what he was up to. He was way ahead of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I don't think there is anybody like Jim in movies right, he s a genius, but a real one, totally abnormal cognitive abilities.

I lost count how many testimonies like this I ve read about how Cameron is a nightmare to work with because he s so damn fast & ahead of everybody.

So from Cameron s POV, he thinks people are lazy ... or just plain mediocre and he pushes them to be on par with him which creates problemns, to say the least.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I don't think there is anybody like Jim in movies right, he s a genius, but a real one, totally abnormal cognitive abilities.

I lost count how many testimonies like this I ve read about how Cameron is a nightmare to work with because he s so damn fast & ahead of everybody.

So from Cameron s POV, he thinks people are lazy ... or just plain mediocre and he pushes them to be on par with him which creates problemns, to say the least.

It really is something to behold, I mean even if we only consider his achievements outside of film he's a very extraordinary person. 

Then you factor in all the film stuff and it just ascends to entire different level of achievement. Really looking at his résumé makes me wonder how anyone with an IQ over 80 can seriously doubt him. 

• Haha 1

I wonder if Jim chose to do the Avatar films as he wants to try and save the planet.

A pretty good way is to make a film with an environmental message at it's heart and make it highest grossing film of all time, not once, not twice, not thrice, not throyce but five times??? Apart from his documentaries trying to teach people, this is a pretty good way of spreading the message that we're making the planet UNinhabitable.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Apart from his documentaries trying to teach people, this is a pretty good way of spreading the message that we're making the planet inhabitable.

You mean uninhabitable? 

Other than that I agree with your sentiment. I think one of the big things in Jim's mind is that China and India will be the true engines of any serious environmental changes in the next century. It's to this end that I find the deep resonance that the first film had in China to be pleasing. 

Whether he can help bring environmental issues to the forefront of the US zeitgeist is of course another question altogether. 

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

Yeah, people always inact global change because of stuff they saw in a big budget blockbuster movie.

If you really don't believe that forms of media don't influence history you're ignorant. Hell, TCM and Mao's LRB are perhaps two of the most influential books in history and you could read them in less time than it takes to watch Avatar. 

I'm also guessing that modern visual media has transformed somewhat in the last century, so that we can indeed make some reasonable comparisons between written media and film, although I'm welcome to a discussion on that point. 

• Like 1