Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Your complaint is misplaced, go to a Marvel thread.

The world of Pandora is vast and beautiful.

You think it's going to be a dull sequel??? Keep dreaming.

I'm complimenting Jim. He's too good to waste time on sequels to mediocre movie. He should use his talents for something original

• Like 1

Just now, Alli said:

I'm complimenting Jim. He's too good to waste time on sequels to mediocre movie. He should use his talents for something original

1) Avatar is not a mediocre movie. 2) Cameron has a sci-fi universe he can play with and do pretty much whatever he wants. I'm not worried about Avatar 2 being original. It'll be more "original" than most original films.

• Like 2

Honestly, since i still havent seen Avatar (lol), but have listened to its (very good) soundtrack, my choice would be James Newton Howard.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lothar said:

You think he can do best if he'd plan to make one ?

It doesn't matter at this point WETA Digital is doing the Avatar sequels, to startup a proper state of the art VFX company from the ground up for in-house use only would take too much time, $$$$ and probably won't pass the business case test. 

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You post on a Box Office forum, yet haven't seen Avatar? :huh:

I tried to force myself 3 times, but meeehhh...i really like Cameron but Titanic and Avatar are just not made for me (though it seems for nearly everyone else)

11 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I tried to force myself 3 times, but meeehhh...i really like Cameron but Titanic and Avatar are just not made for me (though it seems for nearly everyone else)

What is it you find stops you? The length? Or some other factor? 

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What is it you find stops you? The length? Or some other factor? 

The first 2 acts of Titanic annoy me greatly (third act is great), because the pacing is all over the place and i just cant get behind the characters, Rose and Jack are just uninteresting to me, i dont care for them at all, so the romance just doesnt work for me. The script is also very cliche and, like you said, since the most important and biggest part of the movie doesnt work for me, the film feels overlong. Also, i really hate the Celion Dion song :lol:

Technically and visually though, Titanic is a masterpiece, i wont argue against that. Though when i see myself beeing happy when Jack died, the films themes clearly didnt connect with me. 

Avatar otoh just doesnt interest me. I didnt see it when it came out (i was 12 at the time), so the hype never reached me. Later ive seen countless reviews of it and tried watching it, but its obvious that the film only works in a movie theater with 3D glasses. On a TV, its biggest strength (the visuals and sounddesign) are lacking, it looks kinda cheap. The characters look totally uninteresting for me and the films themes are nothing new or special at all.

Before Avatar 2 comes out, ill give it another try (well, i hope it comes out when im still alive that is), but i doubt it will come anywhere near Camerons true masterpieces (T1/T2/Aliens).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The first 2 acts of Titanic annoy me greatly (third act is great), because the pacing is all over the place and i just cant get behind the characters, Rose and Jack are just uninteresting to me, i dont care for them at all, so the romance just doesnt work for me. The script is also very cliche and, like you said, since the most important and biggest part of the movie doesnt work for me, the film feels overlong. Also, i really hate the Celion Dion song :lol:

Technically and visually though, Titanic is a masterpiece, i wont argue against that. Though when i see myself beeing happy when Jack died, the films themes clearly didnt connect with me. 

Avatar otoh just doesnt interest me. I didnt see it when it came out (i was 12 at the time), so the hype never reached me. Later ive seen countless reviews of it and tried watching it, but its obvious that the film only works in a movie theater with 3D glasses. On a TV, its biggest strength (the visuals and sounddesign) are lacking, it looks kinda cheap. The characters look totally uninteresting for me and the films themes are nothing new or special at all.

Before Avatar 2 comes out, ill give it another try (well, i hope it comes out when im still alive that is), but i doubt it will come anywhere near Camerons true masterpieces (T1/T2/Aliens).

Really appreciate your thoughts, and actually understand your Avatar point. I think when A2 comes out you'll actually have a chance to see Avatar on the big screen in IMAX which is a totally different experience from watching it on TV. 

8 minutes ago, langer said:

I don't believe this is coming out in 2020. 

Well it's over halfway through production now so don't bet on this claim too hard. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Well it's over halfway through production now so don't bet on this claim too hard. 

I'll believe it when I see a trailer.  I was really hyped for that movie about 4 years ago.  This is getting ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, langer said:

I'll believe it when I see a trailer.  I was really hyped for that movie about 4 years ago.  This is getting ridiculous. 

He's building the movie equivalent of the 3 Georges dam here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1