Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Yep he is.

Only thing he can't do is make a bad movie.

act and compose music. (I think most Hollywood directors would contemplate changing careers having to compete with that).

I can only think of two contenders that top him as a polymath in the movie making realm,: Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin.

15 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Was watching a recent Escape From New York documentary and the SFX guys would already tell the tales about how Cameron was fucking intense on everything he was working on the film.

Man is a born genius. 

14 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I can only think of two contenders that top him as a polymath in the movie making realm,: Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin.

I think Clint Eastwood might deserve a contenders spot up there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I think Clint Eastwood might deserve a contenders spot up there. 

He's in the conversation (alongside Buster Keaton, John Carpenter and many others) but he doesn't belong up there because he doesn't have that innovator bone those three have on top of being multi-tasking artist. Welles, Chaplin and Cameron all help to modernize movie making by researching then creating new techniques and visual effects pushing the envelope not only for their own movies but for the entire industry that adopted their innovations, they're pioneers like George Méliès. Eastwood is all artistry, he has no interest in the technology behind the art of making movies nor pushing the boundaries of movie making.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

He's in the conversation (alongside Buster Keaton, John Carpenter and many others) but he doesn't belong up there because he doesn't have that innovator bone on top those three have on top of being multi-tasking. Welles, Chaplin and Cameron all help to modernize movie making by researching then creating new techniques and visual effects pushing the envelope not only for their own movies but for the entire industry that adopted their innovations, they're pioneers like George Méliès. Eastwood is all artistry, he has no interest in the technology behind the art of making movies nor pushing the boundaries of movie making.

This is a great point, hadn't thought about it like that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

He's in the conversation (alongside Buster Keaton, John Carpenter and many others) but he doesn't belong up there because he doesn't have that innovator bone those three have on top of being multi-tasking artist. Welles, Chaplin and Cameron all help to modernize movie making by researching then creating new techniques and visual effects pushing the envelope not only for their own movies but for the entire industry that adopted their innovations, they're pioneers like George Méliès. Eastwood is all artistry, he has no interest in the technology behind the art of making movies nor pushing the boundaries of movie making.

George_Lucas_1986_(cropped).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

When do you think we'll see the first teaser? Before Episode IX? Super Bowl in February 2020? I hope it's epic, like the Lord of the Rings teaser.

Ah seeing that brings back fond memories...

Sometime in December would be my guess for the Avatar 2 teaser.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I hope for something early but I'm not expecting it. The first trailer for Avatar wasn't out till four months before release.

Jim says this is his manhatten project, I fully expect a teaser only to be dropped when it's ready.

So who knows, what I do know though is that teaser will blow minds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

A small part of me wants Alita to bomb just so that people underestimate Jim even more, then when it explodes past $6B WW I can sit back and laugh. 

Wouldn't you rather have Alita gross $1.5B just to show that Jim can do it an unlimited number of times? 

Then when people start predicting this they'll be bullish predicting $2-3B, then even after they know it'll do a lot, Jim blows their minds once again...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Box Office reddit seems to think Avatar 3 might be moved from 2021 to accomdate Star Wars.

:hahaha:

Right now I don't think we'll see a Star Wars movie in 2021 unless the long-rumored Obi-Wan standalone with Ewan actually happens.

And that's something that would probably be budgeted much more modestly than the other New Wars films, so it and Ava2 would co-exist just fine.

Edited by 4815162342

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

A small part of me wants Alita to bomb just so that people underestimate Jim even more, then when it explodes past $6B WW I can sit back and laugh. 

The 4 Avatar sequels combined will barely make 6 billion WW. Around ~1.5B for each (assuming they're all well received and the story is less generic than the first Avatar)

• Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

The 4 Avatar sequels combined will barely make 6 billion WW. Around ~1.5B for each (assuming they're all well received and the story is less generic than the first Avatar)

The hell is this? Talk about low balling.

I watched The Godfather I and II over the holidays for the first time in years, Cameron has been quoted saying that the Avatar sequels will follow a similar template (cross generational family saga), well I hope the ending is a lot more positive for Jake than it was for Michael Corleone.... If one can take anything from The Godfather saga and transfer it to Jake/Neytiri's situation it's that their family and their clan will be under attack constantly from the RDA, other Na'vi clans and even internally from their own members who betray them. 

Zoe posted a photo of herself in motion capture gear for Avatar from earlier this year.