Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

God, I remember when this thread first popped up. Its such an incredibly stupid sentiment and shows how limited reddits (and of large parts of the internet in general) view on culture actually is. Whats so aggravating about reddit to me is that the people there so happily cultivate their incorrect assumptions like its some sort of badge of honor.

6 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Remember reading an interview from marxist Inaritu about the purity of art and how wanting your movie to be as succesful as possible was a horrible idea.

Hope this Rolex ad passed his purity test.

I really wonder sometimes if these people are self-aware or not.

Probably not.

I agree with Inaritu tho, the very idea that peasants would be able to own a Rolex is appalling, pure art is for elite people.

Buy a Swatch.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Before the sequels finally come out I guess continuously talking about how it's culturally irrelevant is part of Avatar's legacy and "relevancy". The other day someone on reset-era commented on the fact that Avatar is the most continuously discussed movie last year save TLJ, but Avatar came out almost 10 years ago. 

It's really hard for people to get it, but if a film is truly irrelevant, people don't actually tend to talk about it...

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Remember reading an interview from marxist Inaritu about the purity of art and how wanting your movie to be as succesful as possible was a horrible idea.

Probably not.

Cuaron or Del Toro anyday for me, I really dislike that guy...

Edited by NCsoft

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Probably not.

Except that starring in a Rolex ad has nothing to do with artistic purity, its not affecting his art if he makes money by starring in this ad.

6 hours ago, NCsoft said:

It's really hard for people to get it, but if a film is truly irrelevant, people don't actually tend to talk about it...

It's painful to read such an illogical statement and people not see the blatant logical fallacy. I sometimes despair for the future, but then breathe a sigh of relief that I managed to escape and won't be one of the poor folk who are going to have to deal with all of this mess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Landau mentioned last night that they've shot footage for A2/A3 and 'further on' which I found very interesting. 

Maybe did all the underwater scenes while they had the tank or something

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Is the Flight of Passage the greatest trailer of all time?

It's running pretty much every day since may 27th 2017.

Could be close to a 100m unique views of the greatest trailer ever.

Is that one of those daft "rides" where your seat moves and you watch a video?

I remember going on a star wars one at Disneyland maybe idk 10 years ago and it was shite.

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I remember going on a star wars one at Disneyland maybe idk 10 years ago and it was shite.

I think it's come on a long way since then because people rate it really highly.

Looks funny because it's a recording of a 3D screen.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I did both Star Tours and Flight of Passage last March at DisneyWorld. In my opinion, Flight of Passage (easily) blows Star Tours out of the water. Its truly a spectacular ride, probably the best one at that theme park if you ask me.

Edited by Rorschach